Storage forum

General discussion

USB hard drive not recongnised

by sovett / June 2, 2005 7:03 AM PDT

I have just bought an external usb hard drive case that enables me to add in any ide hard drive. Whenever I put in my 40gb maxtor hard drive it gets recognised instantly on my windows xp service pack 2 system. However when I swap the drive to my IBM 120gb hard drive it does not even get shown in device manager. I put the IBM drive in another system but attached directly to the internal ide cable and the drive works fine. I then reformatted the IBM drive but it is still not recognised when I place it back into the usb case and attach it to my system. I did try changing around the drive jumpers but nothing seems to work. Does anyone have any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB hard drive not recongnised
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB hard drive not recongnised
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You mention jumpers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 2, 2005 7:28 AM PDT

The only cases I see have all but one setting. It's cable select. If your documention states otherwise, that would be a first or some very old unit.

The drive may not show in Explorer. Try the disk management tool (Start, Help & Support if you can't find it.)

Bob

Collapse -
At a loss.....
by sovett / June 2, 2005 9:35 AM PDT
In reply to: You mention jumpers.

The jumpers I were referring to were the ones on the hard drive itself. But whatever setting I think they are ignored. I can set the jumpers on my Maxtor drive to master, slave or cable select and it is always recognised. I have tried the IBM drive on more than one computer within the USB case and it never gets recognised. I can now only guess. I wonder if its a capacity problem, incompatibility or some other obscure reason?

Collapse -
WHERE are you looking?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 2, 2005 10:24 AM PDT
In reply to: At a loss.....

For instance the DRIVE MANAGEMENT tool?

Stick with cable select. It's too bad you didn't supply the make and model of the case.

Bob

Collapse -
Make of case
by sovett / June 2, 2005 6:22 PM PDT
In reply to: WHERE are you looking?

Apologies as I tried to post full details previously but closed my browser down too quickly.
Case is as in the link below:

http://www.thetechzone.com/display.php?i=212&p=1

When I look under computer management then device manager and disk drives the IBM drive does not appear there. However swapping over for the Maxtor drive and it appears under device manager ok.

Collapse -
That helped.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 2, 2005 9:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Make of case

1. The cable type appears to be 80 conductor IDE in the drive case. That means to stick to CABLE SELECT.

2. You didn't look in the DISK MANAGEMENT you can find with Start, Help and Support. It's fine you looked in the device manager, but do try the other.

It could be an older design case that didn't support that drive or the drive just doesn't work in that case.

Bob

Collapse -
Update
by sovett / June 3, 2005 5:27 AM PDT
In reply to: That helped.

Yes I did look in disk management it was one of the first things I checked but it does not appear there. I phoned the tech support place this afternoon from where I purchased this product and the guy at the other said end seemed to think that my drive is not supported by the USB controller in external USB device.

Now if I had bought a car that was not able to drive on fast roads................................

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.