Question

USB gamepad not recognized in Win XP SP3

My Logitech Chillstream, which is basically like a XBOX usb gamepad, is not being recognized in WINXP SP3. Not only is it not being recognized... it's not getting any power to it either. The USB port is fine. I made sure that I troubleshot that with other inputs like a flash drive, headphones, cellphone, etc. Logitech doesn't give drivers for this gamepad, just a profiler. This will only work if Windows finds the gamepad though. I was sent to a link that must be out of date at Microsoft. It was to download the Common Controller file and I run it and it gives a setup error stating that the installation did not complete. ***? I've attempted reinstalling the Logitech Gaming software and that doesn't help. This gamepad runs on Win XP, Win Vista and Win 7 because I have used it on all platforms before. Device Manager shows it under Other Devices---XUSB gamepad and in properties it states that the device drivers are not installed. I guess it needs Xinput device drivers which, when googled, leads me to Microsoft's download of the Microsoft Common Controller 32bit.exe file. This doesn't help due to the setup error that I mentioned above. Can anybody help me out here? There must be a solution to this. If you look around online you will find that this is a very very very common request, especially for the Chillstream model. Now I'm wondering if I should try to conquer this or just do what everyone else seems to have done... just buy a microsoft gamepad. GRRRRR.... why can't windows be friendly?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: USB gamepad not recognized in Win XP SP3
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: USB gamepad not recognized in Win XP SP3
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
For a test.

Try it on another PC. If it fails, then it's a bad device. If it works then your XP PC needs repairs.
Bob

- Collapse -
Could be something else?

MarkAss70 & R. Proffitt

I was going to submit an entirely different post until I came across this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwoWJhgvVw8

Also, there seems to be a mini-disc CD in the package with XP software on it, at least that's what the video uploader (Omar 32) said.

UK Bob

CNET Forums