PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Usb, Floppy, what do pros use????

by buyer brown / May 27, 2008 12:06 AM PDT

Hi buyer brown here
Hope all is well
I wanted to know:
Since I feel safe to say that computers no longer come with floppy drives anymore
And it seems that I have been reading a lot about flash drives are suppose to be the new floppy,
Although I have yet to find one that acts like a floppy on any of my pc?s I tried The Hp solution and some other tutorials but none of them have worked for me as of yet.
Of course I change the boot order as well,
No don?t get me wrong I?m sure that it works in some way just not for me or I?m doing something wrong
So what are Real IT pros using is it better to just get a portable floppy drive and why and why don?t computer creators just make it so usb?s also act like a floppy they knew floppy was dead and something had to replace it
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Usb, Floppy, what do pros use????
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Usb, Floppy, what do pros use????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Haven't booted a floppy for years.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2008 12:29 AM PDT

Can you share why we need this?

Collapse -
(NT) Yeah, it's called a CD
by samkh / May 27, 2008 12:32 AM PDT
Collapse -
but what if CD ROM wont work
by buyer brown / May 27, 2008 12:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Yeah, it's called a CD

But what if the CD Rom doesn?t work and if you don?t use floppy utilities then what do you use when things go wrong
I?m sure you Know of IT personal using floppies to boot up a system to work on a pc that has gone south
Now keep in mind that I?m just learning about Networking and batch files and such
But I know the whole dos on disk was used to fix a lot of trouble, even to the point where portable floppy drives where made so one could still use such utilities.
So ok if I?m way off base then what do IT pros use now to work on a pc that a CD Rom won?t work and need?s to boot into a messed up system
thanks

Collapse -
depends
by ramarc / May 27, 2008 1:03 AM PDT

hardware support in a big company will either just swap the hard drive or swap the entire unit and then dump the user's data on a network share after it's been retrieved.

and with most newer systems, the bios can be configured to boot from a usb device, so a usb flash drive with bart-pe or a linux distro is all that's needed.

Collapse -
Not intending to argue with you any longer
by samkh / May 27, 2008 1:34 AM PDT

If your necessary I/O is dead, fix it first. And check that RAMs are OK.

Collapse -
am I frustrating you or something?
by buyer brown / May 27, 2008 2:03 AM PDT

I never asked you to argue with me, am I frustrating you or something?
I just wanted to understand what happen to the use of floppies and there utilities and how people used them and if they are used at all anymore
I?m sure you were not born an IT pro and neither was I
It appears that the I/O between me and you is what needs replaced.
Thank you kindly for your advice, but you can DEL [drive:] [path] your Attitude [/P]

Collapse -
So ramarc
by buyer brown / May 27, 2008 2:13 AM PDT

So ramarc
Are you saying as far as any newer systems I would ever come across say after 3yr?s
When I graduate would be completely USB based and a good working knowledge of Linux in general and in trouble shooting would be to my benefit

Collapse -
not all BIOS can boot from flash drives
by squirtlewa / May 27, 2008 11:58 AM PDT
In reply to: So ramarc

I'd think you best be prepared to boot from floppy OR CD OR DVD OR USB Flash OR whatever next comes along.

Part of school means learning things that are out of date. For example, your A+ certification requires you know what wire is DSR on COM1, and to know DOS error codes. Don't be misled that you'll actually use that knowledge. Nor a floppy drive, in most cases.

The bigger picture is getting a good understanding of how things work, generally, so that you'll be able to adapt to the rapidly-changing IT world.

Collapse -
Thank you
by buyer brown / May 27, 2008 3:14 PM PDT

I think I see your point
There is no way to know what?s coming but no matter what it is
Will be based on what has been in some sort of way.
A good base in how it all works, will give me the skills I need to adapt to whatever comes
Thank you for your input
I?ll keep all the lessons that I have learned from these post in mind

Collapse -
If CDROM doesn't work we fix that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2008 12:16 AM PDT

Given today's support costs it's too cheap to fix that fix. Also there is little that fits on a diskette that would help get in. Now I'm writing about the systems I run into and not those old DOS based Windows.

The DOS networking would incur TOO HIGH A SUPPORT COST and few would find the needed DOS driver for the network card do that's a dead end. Maybe if you had unlimited time and no budget but why would anyone go there?

Bob

Collapse -
Good logic Bob
by Dango517 / May 29, 2008 4:25 PM PDT
Collapse -
Typo City.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2008 11:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Good logic Bob

I see I typo'd too much there. I see many confuse going to DOS with going to a command line. DOS is rarely usable to access today's systems. I still may find an old system I want to update the BIOS to enable a memory upgrade but that's it.

The command line is a great skill to have. You can boot (XP, others) to a command prompt to repair small annoyances such as a file that won't delete in Explorer and many other things. Not that you have to learn the entire command set but deleting a file is all of TWO commands to learn.

Bob

Collapse -
USB
by Dango517 / May 27, 2008 3:53 PM PDT

Simple, portable, fast, fewer moving parts, larger storage space. I seldom use anything else. Just an occasional DVD movie on the DVD drive/player. I also back up to a second Hard drive.

The real professionals uses other drives to back things up to on specialized computers called servers. They might also make backups to off-site locations to avoid disasters. This explanation is an oversimplification to reduce confusion, this can be very complicated in the real world.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.