Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

USB Flash Not Recognized Mini-ports

HI, I've problem with Kennington "Data Transfer" and mac-mini-intel ports i.e. the mini will not recognize my USB Flash/thumb drive. However, the mini will recognize the flash drive, if it is plugged into my Emac( PPC ) keyboard first. If I plug into mini port first and then plug into Emac keyboard I get a warning alert! the device is drawing to much power and the port will be shut down to protect equipment, but the port does not shut down and the flash continues to be recognized and functions normally.. I have tried multiple partioning, security options and format options --e.g MS-DOS-FAT and GUIDE etc--- and nothing gets the mini to driectly recognize the flash drive except the PPC keyboard....Xfun

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB Flash Not Recognized Mini-ports
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB Flash Not Recognized Mini-ports
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Complicated.

In reply to: USB Flash Not Recognized Mini-ports

The keyboard that your eMac uses is just a regular USB keyboard. It is not PPC or Intel, just USB.
Plugging a USB flash drive into the keyboard can produce the Low Power warning as the USB hub in the keyboard usually only supplies enough power for something like a mouse.

The USB ports on your Mac Mini should have no problem recognizing any USB Flash drive.
The normal format for a thumbdrive is FAT32, out of the box, and is readable by most computer Operating Systems.

What exactly happens when the Flash drive is plugged directly into the back of the Mac Mini?
Any activity at all?

P

Collapse -

In reply to: Complicated.

Hi P, I understand the keyboard is not specific defined as PPC, I was using that instead of saying again that, "it is an Emac" or to confuse others that i might be hooked into an Emac....I've been using this flash drive for couple yrs now on my PPC macs with no problem and let me clarify this again,

1) when i plug the flash into the keyboard and the keyborad into the mini port, the flash is recognized on the screen, sidebar and disk utility just like it normally is on the PPC machines.

2)When I plug directly into any of the mini's 4-ports, I get nada, zip, nothing of any kind anywhere, in anyway...and if I then pull the flash out that port will now become inactive, until the mini is shut-ff and back on.

3) After pulling the flash out of the mini port --see #2 above-- and plugging into the keyboard I will get a warning alert meessage that device is drawing too much power but the flash is recognized by the mini anyway, on the screen, sidebar and disk utility and will function normally even tho i received that alert message....

4) A friend thinks its is power issue since that is the only thing that is differrent in when it works or not and that is the keyboard and its port i.e. he thought that the keyboard upping or changing the voltage in some way to make it flash work wheneve plugged into the keyboard. Ok so this led to idea that an old( 10 yr ) 4-port powered Belkin plugged into the a mini port might change the voltage and work, which brings me to..

5) when plugged into the 10 yre old Belkin 4-port that is plugged into a mini port, I get 4 alert message warnings that, device is drawing too much power so the port is shut down to protect equipment.

6) I can't recall what the original formating was before I began trying multeiple combinations of formatings, FAT, EXtended, etc...1-partition, GUIDE, others and none have made any differrence to what happens, every time.

Interesting also, is that even with all the differrent formats and GUIDE or not combinations the Flash contiues to work via the keyboard and my other PPC pwr book.

I hope the above is clear enough to you....the keyboard port seems to be key differrence....Thx for your concern Xfun

Collapse -
It's a power issue.

1. The 10 year old USB hub is not supplying enough power. At 10 years old, it is probably only USB 1.0. Replace it with a new one.

2. Is this the same USB flash drive that you are using? Do you have another one you can try, preferably not one of yours?

P

Collapse -
USB Kennington Flash Not Recognized

In reply to: It's a power issue.

Hi P, yes voltage does seem to be problem....keyboard( PPC-Emac ) is 2005 model...Kennington flash drive bought in 2008....I was just hoping not to buy another flash drive --altho newer--- that also would not work directly in the mini port.

Any 2-4G flash drive recommendations that you think would work with this mini which I believe has 2.0 ports...went into Mac Profiles but there was nothing clearly stated under "USB" as 2.0 port ? ?

The mini 1,1 late 2006 model cause it was originally 1.83CPU.

Yeah buying a newer Belkin multi-port is an option that might work and poosibly even useful to me with this new mini configuration, as it came with wireless keyboard that uses two of four ports, so if I want to use wireless keyboard I pretty much have to have newer Belkin multi-port.

Thanks P......Xfun

Collapse -
That's confusing,

In reply to: USB Kennington Flash Not Recognized

why do you need to use two of the four USB 2.0 ports for a wireless keyboard?
If your mini came with a wireless keyboard that requires two USB ports to operate, something is not quite right.

The mini comes with Bluetooth which is what Apple uses to drive their wireless keyboards. No USB ports required. Guessing this is not an Apple wireless keyboard

P

Collapse -
USB Flash

In reply to: That's confusing,

Hi P, it is "Case Logic" is name of this PC based keyboar --not an Apple-- and the it my Ebay mini package came with two USB devices and one has "logitech" printed on it and the other has a 6 rays as tho the sun is just rising but now I see it has a place in middle that can be pressed down/inward and it makes a clicking noise when I do this --there out of the mini at the moment---- as best as I recall I asked the seller what those were for and he said the wireless keyborard..maybe I need to try each one by itself and see what happens.....I will have to get back to you that experimemt...Xfun

Collapse -
Ditch the keyboard for a wired one,

In reply to: USB Flash

any wired one will do as long as it is USB.

You may find that your problems go away after that.

P

Collapse -

In reply to: Ditch the keyboard for a wired one,

Hi P, I have not used the wireless in the mini at all, so that is not related to my problems.......I've been using only the Emac keyboard.....teh eamc keyboard plugged into the mini recognizes the flash with no problem.....the mini does not rcognize flash when it is directly plugged into the mini port(s).....I you and my friend all believe it is voltage issue based on the fact that teh flash will work via the Emac( ppc ) keyboard port....something about that port changing the voltage so that flash is recognized by the mini.....I had been using the wireless keyboard on my Emac with no problems...I thinnk I will be getting a newer Belkin 4-port or a newer flash drive.....not sure yet...thx again for you replies....xfun

Collapse -
USB Camera Not Recognized Mini Ports

Hi, it is me again with almost exact same problem only it is my Sony camera instead of Flash Drive. Camera is only recognized if it is plugged into my emac keyboard which is plugged into mini port.......weve already established that it appears to be voltage issue...I've ordered an external DVD drive that connects and is powered by a port, so, sure hope it works on directly on mini ports....I almost bought a USB powered Belkin 4-port hub( $6.88 ) but chose not too...not sure if that if that was good or bad choice at this time... ;--O xfun

Collapse -
The bad choice is the USB powered DVD drive.

In reply to: USB Camera Not Recognized Mini Ports

you have enough trouble with the flash drive.

You may find that the DVD drive will be a complete failure when connected to the ports.

Get the Powered hub.

P

Collapse -
USB Camera Not Recoginised hubs

In reply to: The bad choice is the USB powered DVD drive.

Hi P, The Belkin I was seeing at Amazon was powered by the USB and not AC receptacle. I will have to wait and see what happens with teh USB powered DVD drive... possibly USB powered Belkin could be be plugged into my emac keyboard.. $6.88 is such a good price...an AC powered one will probably be my choice if it turns out I need a hub...xfun but the fun is mixed with lot of frustrations..:--)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.