Storage forum

General discussion

USB flash drive recommendations for first time buyer.

by Big Steve / March 2, 2007 2:38 PM PST

I'd like some recommendations on a good brand of USB flash drive to purchase to be used to back up data on my notebook. I've read that I should consider purchasing one with at least 1GB storage capacity.
Feedback please.

End Of Message
03/02/07

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB flash drive recommendations for first time buyer.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB flash drive recommendations for first time buyer.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: I have this one...
by Big Steve / March 4, 2007 5:48 AM PST
In reply to: I have this one. . .

I didn't want to spend that much for one; can I get something cheaper made by that company? They make so many. Something I remember about a post made in another thread sometime ago was this; another poster I believe said to be sure to buy a flash drive with a port adapter so that the USB port on my Dell notebook wouldn't get damaged as I began to use the flash drive once I purchased one.

The poster said if you damage your flash drive; simply buy another one; if you damage the USB port on your notebook; you'll have to buy another notebook. Does that make any sense and if so would the flash drive which you're recommending come with that adapter the other poster was talking about because I do not want to cause damage to any of the USB ports on the notebook. Thanks for your post.

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
03/04/07

Collapse -
I can't imagine. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 4, 2007 6:07 AM PST
In reply to: Re: I have this one...

how either the USB device or the laptop port could be damaged. You just plug it in and out.

I just gave mine as an example. There are probably a gazillion brands to meet your needs. I actually found mine at Home Depot for 59 bucks.

Collapse -
Re: I can't imagine. . .
by Big Steve / March 4, 2007 6:19 AM PST
In reply to: I can't imagine. . .

Did you say "Home Depot" or did you mean to say "Office Depot"? Are the titanium models by Sandisk better than the other models? I've read about it being able to withstand a car rolling over it; I don't plan to do that.

I just want a good one which I plan to use only for backing up some Quicken currently on this Dell notebook; that's it. I believe I read somewhere that you can also back up photographs with one of those devices. Is that true? Again thanks for your post.

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
03/04/07

Collapse -
Home Depot. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 4, 2007 8:24 AM PST

The drive can be used as any other drive. You can put anything you want on it. When it's plugged it it will show up in Explorer as another drive. Drag and drop files to it. One thing you cannot do is install a program on it. Usually. Some programs can be installed on it but that gets a little deep. I don't recommend it.

I use mine for "stuff". It's easy to move "stuff" from one PC to another. But don't rely on it for a backup device. Saving "stuff" on it as a temporary measure. Backing up should be reserved to optical media.

In a nutshell, use it as you wish like any hard drive.

Collapse -
Re: Home Depot. . .
by Big Steve / March 4, 2007 8:49 AM PST
In reply to: Home Depot. . .

Could I back up my Quicken data which is presently stored on a Dell notebook and then take the USB flash drive device and install the Quicken data on a Dell desktop set up in a back bedroom instead of having to manually enter the Quicken data into the Dell desktop if I wanted to do that?

The Dell desktop which was purchased last year came with Quicken Basic 2006 installed on it; the Dell notebook didn't so 2 months ago I bought a version of Quicken Basic 2007 from Office Depot.com and installed it on the Dell notebook. If I can move the data from the Dell notebook to the Dell desktop should I first install the Quicken Basic 2007 on the Dell desktop which is already installed on the Dell notebook? Thank you for your post.

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
03/04/07

Collapse -
Data is data. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 4, 2007 10:04 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Home Depot. . .

I'd install Quicken first. Then have it look for the data on the thumb drive when it's needed. Or import (copy) the data to the new installation.

Just consider the thumb drive as a portable hard drive and treat it as such. Nicely.

Collapse -
Data is data. . .
by Big Steve / March 4, 2007 10:53 AM PST
In reply to: Data is data. . .

If I install the Quicken Basic 2007 on the Dell desktop PC which already has Quicken Basic 2006 on it but no data has been entered into the Quicken Basic 2006 on the Dell desktop PC since I don't use it that much will the Quicken Basic 2007 that I install overwrite the Quicken Basic 2006 on the Dell desktop PC once I've installed it or will there be 2 versions of Quicken Basic software installed on the Dell desktop PC once I've completed the installation process and will there also be 2 Quicken shortcuts displayed on the computer monitor's screen on the Dell desktop PC? One shortcut labeled Quicken Basic 2006 and the other shortcut labeled Quicken Basic 2007? Thanks for your post.

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
03/04/07

Collapse -
Flash drive forum, not Quicken's
by spuddudly / March 8, 2007 11:24 PM PST
In reply to: Data is data. . .

Dude, READ the INSTRUCTIONS included with Quicken already!!!

Collapse -
Re: Flash drive forum, not Quicken's
by Big Steve / March 9, 2007 2:25 AM PST

As actor Gary Coleman use to say so many times, "Whatcha talkin' about Willis"?

Collapse -
I really like the SanDisk Platinum
by skipapotamus / March 13, 2007 11:19 PM PDT

I really like the SanDisk Platinum! I have a 2GB Platinum and it's very sturdy and the USB plug retracts. If you're a COSTCO member you can get the 1GB or 2GB there for a great price. They come with a pocket clip, a lanyard, and a keyring attachment.

If you get one of these I suggest going to SanDisk's website and downloading the U3 removal tool. U3 is a very annoying little launchpad tool that pops up every time you insert the drive into a USB port unless you use this removal utility to get rid of it.

Collapse -
registration
by yemohokoe / March 13, 2007 7:50 PM PDT
In reply to: I can't imagine. . .

I want to register

Collapse -
Buy a port replicator to use flash drive?
by WAArnold / March 9, 2007 12:26 AM PST
In reply to: Re: I have this one...

I could agree with the recommendation for a port replicator except for one thing. What is the difference in plugging your replicator into your laptop/notebook and then plugging your flash drive into the port replicator? You can damage your laptop port just as easily injecting the port replicator, or, injecting the flash drive. The suggestion is not valid unless you left the port replicator plugged into the notebook/laptop, which I doubt is the case.

Buy the fastest, largest capacity you can afford and be happy with it. Just don't treat it like it's a battle tank when you are plugging it into your laptop, or, your desktop for that matter. You can damage both.

Collapse -
I have three types of flash/thumb drives.
by coffeecan / March 9, 2007 1:15 AM PST

Hi Steve,
I have seen the small elongated storage device that you plug into a usb port called both a flash drive and a thumb drive. I don't know which is the correct terminology but please read the following:

1-I bought a 256 m sandisk a long time ago (early 2004) and it was about $50.00. Lots of info came with it.

2-I also bought a Lexar Secure that was 512m a long time ago and it was $79.00 way back then. Lots of info came with this one too.

3-They both worked very well until there was some type of glitch (maybe a file corruption)with the lexar and after that I could not get back into the lexar for my data. The Lexar folks were NOT a bit of help. So I do not buy Lexar products anymore.

4-The San disk still functions very well!

5- I bought a Micro Center 1-gb flash-thumb drive for $9.99! It works very well too. No info. Just picked it up out of a bin.

6- Yesterday I bought another 1-gb at Micro Center for $9.99. This one is manufactured or distributed by Kingston via Micro Center. They had 2-gb for $15.00. Same. No info and came out of a bin at cash register.

7-Is the quality the same? I don't know! But they all work well for now. Work similar to a floppy but much faster. Don't have to format them. they come with a small software program and work well on any computer. Just plug them in and you can save, copy, or move files to them.

8- I recommend that you follow the advice from the other posters and use these drives only to transfer the data between storage points. Use other media for permanent storage. Maybe cd/dvd/portable external drive.

9-I am not a techie and but have used home office and work computers for 20 years. I am conservative with my money but also have learned that sometimes taking the cheaper way is the entrance ramp to a freeway of frustration. Sometimes experimenting with different manufacturers has paid very good dividends and other times not so.
10-So Good Luck.

Collapse -
Re: (NT) I have three types of flash/thumb drives.
by Big Steve / March 9, 2007 2:32 AM PST

You mention Micro Center in your post. Is that the same Micro Center that sells PowerSpec PC's? If it is have you ever owned one of their PowerSpec desktop PC's and if so are they any good in a comparison to Dell? Any idea what that "dude" posting above you meant by telling me to read Quicken's directions? Thanks for your post.

Collapse -
DOH!!!!!
by spuddudly / March 9, 2007 3:56 AM PST

If you read the instructions included with your Quicken, it will explain all your questions on what and how to transfer and or modify your data files from one machine to another. Forums are generally used by persons who have already exhausted their own resources and need some advanced help on issues not easily addressed by some manufacturers software help.
I'm not trying to be mean, but if you spent have the time doing your own homework, instead of having others do it for you, you most certainly would understand and comprehend your computer and software on a higher level to say the least.
As far as your questions regarding flashdrives, one is basically as good as the other, don't go swimming with any of them and they will generally work just fine for a very long time.
Micro Center is just another PC, Electronics retailer who will build you a machine to your spec's, in other words, you tell them what you want and they make it for you. You decide what you want your machine to be capable of, and if it is within reason, they will make it so. You are only bound by the technology of the hour in which you order your machine...and of course your budget.
But then again if you just gotta have a name brand, get a Mac or a Dell. They are different animals and you can order them to your own personal specification's also, BUT your going to pay thru the wazzoooo

Collapse -
Re: DOH!!!!!
by Big Steve / March 9, 2007 6:03 AM PST
In reply to: DOH!!!!!

Now was that really necessary? Duh!!!!!

Collapse -
4GB Thumb Drives from Ebay for $40
by Khoolguy / March 9, 2007 10:24 AM PST

I go to ebay where a 4GB is going for like 40 bucks not bad quality at all. I have purchased one and use it on Gateway Laptop and HP Desktop at home and HP desktop in office with no prob.

Collapse -
Do some research
by MaryFred / March 9, 2007 11:53 PM PST

I have the Kingston DataTraveler 1 GB ... works like a charm with no problems. And ... I just went in with 4 other teachers and bought 5 of them through Amazon and, including shipping, our flash drives cost $9.75 each. The cost of the drive is $3.98 but the shipping is what upped the cost. Still, it was a pretty good deal because we ordered more than one.

I also have a Micro Center 1 GB ... no problems to date. You can order them online for $9.99 and the shipping is $1.99.

Here's one I would stay away from: Lexar. I've had Lexar compact flash cards for my camera go south - corrupted files. NO help from the Lexar folks at all. And ... two people I teach with had the same problem with their flash drives. There are so many options available that it doesn't make sense to take a chance on history repeating itself. Some folks swear by Lexar but not me.

Just do some research and you can find good quality flash drives for decent prices.

Collapse -
Re: Do some research
by Big Steve / March 10, 2007 1:10 AM PST
In reply to: Do some research

Well are you familiar with a brand called Sandisk? They have a Titanium model 1GB then they offer a lower end model I believe it's called the Cruzer. Are either one of those any good? If I wanted to back up data on a CD that you could write over and over again; what brand of blank CD's is good? Thank you for your post.

Collapse -
No Cost USB Flash Drives
by -_Marc_- / March 10, 2007 2:04 AM PST

Check put Buy.com they offer rebates and if you use their google checkout feature you can often get items for FREE. I have seen 1 GB and 2 GB USB 2.0 flash drives for as little as 5 to 9 dollars after the rebates.

Collapse -
Re: No Cost USB Flash Drives
by Big Steve / March 10, 2007 7:43 AM PST

Thanks for the info.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?