Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

usb flash drive problem

I have 2 front usb & 4 rear usb ports on my pc. In july, i bought a 1gb usb flash drive brand new & sealed from Ebay. Up until a week ago, i had never had a problem with this device.
I plugged my usb flash drive into 1 of the front usb ports & nothing happened. No 'new device found' message. I checked in 'my computer' & 'device manager' & it wasn't there. I tried it in the other front usb port & 'usb device not recognized' appeared. Still nothing in 'my computer' but it was there in 'device manager' under 'universal serial bus controllers' it appeared as 'unknown device'.
I opened up the properties for the 'unknown device' to find it telling me that no drivers were installed with this device. I clicked on the driver tab & it has the following info:
Driver provider - Microsoft
= date - 01/07/01
= version - 5.1.2600.0
= signer - Microsoft Windows Publisher
So, there are drivers there for this device. I've tried to update the driver but was told "Windows couldn't find a better match for my hardware than the software installed".
When i plug the usb flash drive into any of the 4 usb ports at the rear of my pc, the device is recognized & working properly. If i then open the folder for the device the program stops responding & i have to end the task - which takes a long time as everything slows down.
When i can finally end the task, the following message appears:
"The specified I/O operation on\device\harddisk1\dr4 was not completed before the time-out period expired".
I've also had this message appear:
"G:\ is not accessible
the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error".

Please can somebody help me with this problem as my usb flash drive is, at this moment, useless & i'd rather not go out & buy a new flash drive. Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: usb flash drive problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: usb flash drive problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"When i plug the usb flash drive into any of the 4 usb ports

In reply to: usb flash drive problem

"When i plug the usb flash drive into any of the 4 usb ports at the rear of my pc, the device is recognized & working properly."

Front USB ports on better than 90% of the machines I see have USB 1.1 type wiring and have caused such issues. While convenient I feel that this issue is doing a lot of people in.

Fix? Don't plug it in there.

Bob

Collapse -
usb flash drive prob

In reply to: "When i plug the usb flash drive into any of the 4 usb ports

"Front USB ports on better than 90% of the machines I see have USB 1.1 type wiring and have caused such issues. While convenient I feel that this issue is doing a lot of people in.

Fix? Don't plug it in there."

I've had no probs with my front usb ports until now & i've been using them alot for my digi cam, usb flash drive & bluetooth dongle - why all of a sudden do i have a prob?

I can use the rear usb ports for my digi cam & blutooth dongle but not my usb flash drive - have explained in my 1st post what happens when i try. & i'd rather not use the back usb ports as this means i have to haul my pc desk out in order to use them & the desk is very heavy - that's why i wanted front usb ports!!!

What can i do??

Collapse -
Use the rear ports or...

In reply to: usb flash drive prob

Go get an USB 2.0 hub to connect to the rear and make it easy to access.

Remember you did write "When i plug the usb flash drive into any of the 4 usb ports at the rear of my pc, the device is recognized & working properly." so that's why I see the easy exit.

-> About why now. We may never know but only a tech might spot if the wiring was proper from day one. And just because it worked yesterday with improper wiring doesn't mean it will forever. This drives people nuts and makes our "tech" a pile of money as people want to "discuss it."

I'm still amused as the discussion go on and on with the time being billed when the real discussion should be to the machine's maker.

Bob

Collapse -
Need more info

In reply to: usb flash drive problem

The problem you describe could be caused by a number of different reasons.

My first inclination is to believe that you are trying to plug in a USB 2.0 device in a USB 1.0 or 1.1 port. However, that usually results in a "Power requirements exceeded for hub" error message. The fact that the system doesn't see/recognize the device is somewhat outside of the typical USB 2.0 / 1.1 compatibility issues.

Another possibility is that the wires that connect your front USB ports to the mobo's USB header have come loose somehow. Have you done any work inside the case recently?

Have you installed any hardware that might have installed new USB drivers? What works for one device will not necessarily work for another, even though Windows seems perfectly happy with the installed drivers.

What are your system specs? What devices have you traditionally plaugged into the front ports as opposed to the rear ports?

Collapse -
usb flash drive prob

In reply to: Need more info

My usb flash drive is 2.0 but is compatible with 1.0 ports as i'm pretty sure my system runs 1.0 ports.
I haven't done anything to my system recently, no hardware has been installed or messed with.
I've plugged into the front ports: my digi camera, flash drive & a bluetooth dongle, front ports no longer work with any of these devices.
If i could get the flash drive to work in the back port, i wouldn't be to bothered but as soon as it's plugged in & i go into the flash drive the program no longer responds & takes ages to end the task. But i like to use the front ports as it's alot easier & i don't want, nor can i afford right now, to go out & buy a hub.

System specs are:
windows xp pro with sp 2
80gb hdd
512mb ram
amd athlon 2500+
ASRock K7VT4A pro motherboard

Is this enough info? My system was built for me by a friend about 2 years ago & this is the 1st real prob i've had with it (the other probs were application linked).

Collapse -
I'm now 100% certain it's the wires.

Collapse -
I won't say 100%...

In reply to: I'm now 100% certain it's the wires.

But I think Bob is right. From what you describe, the mobo-mounted USB ports work (perhaps a little flaky, which could be a driver issue), but the lack of any activity from the front USB ports leaves me thinking that one or more wires may have come loose. It could be at the connector level (which might mean a broken solder point) or at the motherboard level (where one of 9 connectors may have been jarred loose from the pins).

Obviously, not the answers you wanted, but I can't think of anything else that would cause front USB ports to stop responding when they used to work normally.

Good luck!

Collapse -
Try cleaning

You first mention the flash drive won't be recoginized and now all devices aren't, pretty much tells the wiring or the USB port at the mtrbd. is bad or flaky. YOU CAN at least reseat the wiring/harness for the USB plus use a electrical contact cleaner fo break the tarish or discoloratin some contacts build overtime. If the problem disappears after cleaning and reseating, great if not, then look at the USB port at mtrbd.. Presistant static discharges will damage a USB port even if you don't feel it until its done-in, after we're talking only 5V to run USB devices and ESD discharges can be much higher as a cause for damage. You can try a rebuild or reload of the USB(mtrbd.) drivers or fixes MS provides in order to be sure that's not a cause. None oif this costs much, only the cleaner. If you need a replacement YUSB wiring/harness that won't be much either. If none of this works, then get a new pci USB card and install, disable non-working USB mtrbd. provided after the new pci install, if you want any USB to be working.
the cost is miniumal.

FYI - the ASRock mtrbds. are cost consideration provided mtrbds. and often enough users complain about them. Heck cheap is cheap after 2 yrs. of service, problems crop-up for whatever reason. IMHO, you got pretty close to your money's worth. Sad

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.