Computer Help forum

General discussion

usb flash drive

by modo333 / December 6, 2010 2:00 PM PST

i am trying to find some help. i use lexar usb high speed flash drive at work on pc. i brought flash home and my son inserted it into his macpro. he said nothing showed up, so he yanked it out.

now when i try to use my flash drive at owrk, everying is totally foreign tome. none of my data seems to be on the drive and there is only weird files not listed. not recognizable to my pc.

does anyone know what happened and how to get my files back?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: usb flash drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: usb flash drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You might remember . . .
by Coryphaeus / December 6, 2010 9:16 PM PST
In reply to: usb flash drive

PC files are not interchangeable with Macs. They may have been corrupted by the Mac. A format may restore the drive to PC specifications.

Collapse -
That's very old info
by Jimmy Greystone / December 6, 2010 9:59 PM PST

That's very old info, and hasn't really been true for at least 10 years, probably longer. If you want to be REALLY picky, you could say at least since Apple introduced Mac OS X, which dropped the resource/data fork aspect of the filesystem that tended to cause so much trouble in the OS Classic days. But that's still been at least 6-7 years now.

These days, Macs are probably better at sharing info with Windows than Windows is, since Macs tend to be a bit more friendly with older versions of Windows on account of all the open source tools Apple borrowed to make Mac OS X.

What can happen, and seems likely in this case, is that if you don't eject/unmount a removable drive before actually removing it on a Mac, it can cause filesystem corruption. Windows is set up, by default since XP, to sacrifice speed for the convenience of being able to just yank drives whenever you want. An option I would like to see on Mac OS X myself.

If I'm correct, and that's what happened, then Mark is correct about the solution, just not the cause. You'll need to format the drive and basically everything on it will be lost. You'll also want to mention to your son that he needs to eject USB flash drives, HDDs, etc, before unplugging them from his Mac Pro. He should be getting an annoying popup warning every time he does this, but some people have an amazing capacity to ignore things. The check engine light could be on for weeks and they never do anything about it, and then what might have been a $100-$200 repair ends up becoming the need for a new engine. So, unless your son was running Windows at the time, he needs to be sure to eject every removable drive from the system before actually removing it. This can be done by dragging the icon for the drive from the desktop to the trash, or pressing Command+E when the drive icon is highlighted. You can also click the little eject icon next to the drive listing in the lefthand pane of any Finder window. When it disappears from the desktop, or the Finder window, then you can remove the drive from the system.

Collapse -
Re: get my files back
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 6, 2010 9:34 PM PST

It's never recommended to have only one copy of your files. So, using that rule of thumb, you should still have the original or a backup copy in addition to the copy on this USB-stick.

Personally, I find USB-sticks a very nice way to transfer data between different PC's that aren't networked. And that's all I use it for.

Now see if any of the programs mentioned in http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7588_102-354911.html?tag=threadListing;forum-threads manages to get those files back that you don't have elsewhere. If not, consider them lost.

Kees

Collapse -
yanked it out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2010 1:15 AM PST

My thoughts is it's not the Mac vs. PC issue here but simply the old "FAT file system is easily damaged problem."

Kees noted the Cnet Storage Forum with titles you can try to get your files back.

-> Having one lone copy is a bad idea. I know it seems a hard way to find out but this disaster was going to happen since the stick could be lost, broken, washed in the laundry or fail.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.