Computer Help forum

General discussion

USB flash drive

by luckylady_63 / October 26, 2006 9:59 AM PDT

My husband bought me a new USB GXT 2.0 gb flash drive. I do not understand the instructions that came with it, they are confusing to say the least. Do I have to download a program to make this flash drive work or do I just install it into the usb drive? I learned one thing this evening, what the icon safely remove hardware means, cause I have to use it to get the flash drive out of the usb socket. Please help, I am feeling very stupid right now.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB flash drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB flash drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Should be as simple as plugging it in and writing
by VAPCMD / October 26, 2006 11:06 AM PDT
In reply to: USB flash drive

to it and reading from it. Usually not much more than that. When you want to remove ... use the ICON in the SYSTRAY or you risk corrupting data. Some newer FLASH drives also have U3 which actually allows you to run some Windows programs from the flash drive itself.
You have to do more reading if your flash drive supports that.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Wonderful tool
by grin_n_bare / October 26, 2006 11:19 AM PDT
In reply to: USB flash drive

Plug it in and go to Explorer, it will be shown as the last letter drive and named Removeable Disk. The neat thing is you can either copy and paste any file or even entire folder to the Removeable drive ... OR you can drag a file or folder to it.

And then take you USB Flash Drive to any other computer, plug it in and copy and paste those files and folder to THAT computer. It's the neatest thing since sliced bread!

Have a secret document you're working on? Keep it on the Flash drive and carry it around with you! LOL

Happy Grin

Collapse -
grin_n_bare
by luckylady_63 / October 27, 2006 1:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Wonderful tool

thank you for your speedy answer. How exactly do I transfer files over to the mobile data drive? I went into my documents and highlighted everything and hit copy to and put the J disk which is the drive for the usb data drive. It got maybe half way through and then gave me a message and wouldn't continue. I formatted the J disk, so it is like brand new again. Do I have to do each file by itself? How do I back up the hard drive onto this J disk, or can I? Please help me out here and I thank you.

Collapse -
Using your flash drive...
by John.Wilkinson / October 27, 2006 3:51 PM PDT
In reply to: grin_n_bare

When you were copying files from My Documents to the flash drive, what was the error message? There are a lot of possibilities there, so any details would be helpful. In short, there was a problem with copying one or more of the files. If you tell it to copy 50 files, and on the 5th one it encounters an error it will simply stop there with only the first 4 actually being copied. You then have to tell it to copy-and-paste #6 onward, skipping #5 until you find out why it cannot be copied over. So no, you don't have to copy each file individually, but you may have to skip files and reissue the command omitting them.

In regards to backing up your hard drive, it cannot be done. A 2GB flash drive simply cannot hold everything on your hard drive, with is likely well over 10 times that. You can, however, save most, if not all, of your personal files there.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
John Wilkinson
by luckylady_63 / October 28, 2006 1:11 AM PDT

Thank you so much for your quick response. I understand now and shouldn't be alarmed because this kind of thing happened. You see John, I was asking on this board a few days ago, if I should use this 2gb flash drive, or buy an external hard drive, in order for me to back up the whole system on this computer. I didn't really get this answered. This was before I opened the flash drive. I decided to keep the flash drive and now you tell me that I cannot back up the hard drive, if for some reason it did break down. I guess I should have bought the external hard drive. This is a Gateway computer and with it came a recovery disk. I also had to make two cd's for drivers and applications. What exactly are these? Will I be able to put back all the programs that were originally on this hard disk back on a new hard disk should it fail? I am real sorry, but I do not understand how this works and really want to know. In the meantime, this morning, I will try to use the flash drive again to copy my documents etc. and see what happens. I will do as you suggest. Looking forward to your answer and thank you. p.s. I can't remember the error message at the moment, sorry

Collapse -
No worries...
by John.Wilkinson / October 28, 2006 4:20 AM PDT
In reply to: John Wilkinson

The recovery disk that came with the computer is so that you can restore your computer to a factory-like state. Basically, it gives you the ability to reinstall Windows with all the little Gateway customizations. If you ever have to use it you should find two options: destructive recovery (clean install) and nondestructive recovery (repair install). The difference is that a destructive recovery will erase everything on the hard drive, including your personal files, while a nondestructive recovery should (but doesn't always) preserve your personal files, settings, and installed software.

The drivers and application CDs are for simply reinstalling individual drivers (to make things such as your graphics card and such work properly) and software that came pre-installed. (Usually they give you a free trial of antivirus software, Microsoft Works, Microsoft Money, etc.)

So, to answer your question, yes, you could use those three disks to reinstall everything on a new hard drive should the case arrive.

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.
John

Collapse -
to: John Wilkinson
by luckylady_63 / October 28, 2006 10:37 PM PDT
In reply to: No worries...

Thank you so much John, this is exactly the answer I wanted to hear. Now I realize that the flash drive is good enough for me, I don't need an external drive at all, because I have these disks. That is all I really wanted to know and you have answered this burning question for me. I appreciate this so much, you just don't know. Thank you and thank you again. I will print your answer for me to keep as a reference in the future. You're great!!! I guess this is why Gateway preloads the software such as Windows XP and doesn't include the disk right? Thanks again.

Collapse -
They do it for the money...
by John.Wilkinson / October 29, 2006 1:09 PM PST
In reply to: to: John Wilkinson

Manufacturers used to include a set of CDs with the purchase of your computer, sometimes including everything on one and sometimes giving you one for Windows, one for the software, and one for the drivers. Everything was also preinstalled so that it was just about ready to use out of the box.

Today, while they still preinstall everything they rely on you burning your own CDs because it saves them time and money. It is, however, more of an inconvenience to the end user, particularly if a problem arises and he/she has forgotten to burn the CDs.

Anyways, glad it all worked out for you.
John

Collapse -
John Wilkinson
by luckylady_63 / October 30, 2006 12:05 AM PST

Thanks again for your help.

Collapse -
Restore CDs...
by rochagomes / November 3, 2006 8:12 AM PST
In reply to: John Wilkinson

I also believe this is HOW MS sells XP to the OEMS.

Between the restore CDs and the applications, that is all you will need as a user. But if you want you could back Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image and constantly created an image to an external DRIVE so you will never have to go back to the origianlly configuration of your harddrive.

But since I just restored my harddrive (3rd time) going back to the original condition is NOT bad and eliminate all the junk that you no longrer use and any possible corrupt registery entries.

Collapse -
restore cd's
by luckylady_63 / November 6, 2006 2:25 AM PST
In reply to: Restore CDs...

thank you John very much for your answer, it is very helpful to me. It is exactly the answer I wanted.

Collapse -
GXT 512MB
by beam2 / November 22, 2006 4:35 AM PST
In reply to: restore cd's

I have the same mobile disk but with 512MB. Anyone know what the very small switch is on the side of the disk right at the bottom?

Collapse -
GXT 512 MB - small button function
by Michel1947 / November 27, 2006 4:17 AM PST
In reply to: GXT 512MB

The small button is simply to put your key in the "read-only" mode (write protection).

Collapse -
by beam2 / November 22, 2006 4:59 AM PST
In reply to: restore cd's

Thank you, Bob for your very fast reply. That certainly makes sense.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?