Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

usb external HD

by briangf / July 28, 2006 10:52 PM PDT

what does it mean when in device mgr it says" This device can not start (code 10) I have an external USB 250G storage drive that my computer will not recognize.
It will start up, spin, but the computer recognize it with the above error code

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: usb external HD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: usb external HD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Most often...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 28, 2006 11:02 PM PDT
In reply to: usb external HD

It means missing drivers for motherboard or no SP2 installed. SP2 contained more USB 2.0 fixes and XP didn't support USB 2.0 at all.

Too bad you didn't share the machine's details.

Bob

Collapse -
It means ,,,
by PKsteven / July 28, 2006 11:02 PM PDT

you need to update some drivers. Do you have SP2? Or set it to master with the jumpers in some cases this will be the only resolution. Do you use an IDE to USB adapter? That's all I can offer until more info is given.

Paul

Collapse -
Read This Article
by Trance_Zac / July 28, 2006 11:03 PM PDT
In reply to: It means ,,,
Collapse -
Re:usb external HD
by hawker505 / July 28, 2006 11:10 PM PDT

This occurs if the USB hub has multiple USB devices connected to it when you disconnect the hub (not ur USB device) from your computer. Disconect the HUB in the recommended method, ie; disconnect the required the USB device from the icon that is present in the taskbar......place the cursor on the icons in the task bar look for the pop-up-menu that reads "safely remove hardware" open it stop the device that u need to remove.....which OS are u running?
U can also resolve this problem by keeping ur system updated with the latest service packs from Microsoft.this is applicable to only Xp.

Collapse -
Re: USB .........
by hawker505 / July 28, 2006 11:13 PM PDT

update the USB driver.....this might help.

Collapse -
Plug you External HD ino an
by Trance_Zac / July 28, 2006 11:44 PM PDT

empty USB port(NOT A HUB)You should get a two tone sound.

If it doesn't show up in My Computer, close & right click on My Computer/click MANAGE/DISK Management.

You should see the External drive below your Main HD

Right click on external drive and click "Set Partition as Active" Assign a drive letter to it & it should now show up in My Computer & be accessible

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?