Peripherals forum

General discussion

USB downloads

by kappa07 / July 27, 2009 3:33 PM PDT

Since a while, when I connect a USB stick, appears a window with the following message : This device can perform faster if you connect it to a Hi-Speed 2.0 port and I end up at the crawling speed of a USB 1.0.
Any idea ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB downloads
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB downloads
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Given few details.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2009 9:08 PM PDT
In reply to: USB downloads

I can't offer much. When I see that I reboot and use the desktop's rear USB ports. Sorry but there is a lot of discussions about this so I'll give you what's worked for me.
Bob

Collapse -
Let's cover those front ports.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 28, 2009 1:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Given few details.

As the machine ages the noise increases in the power supply levels, capacitors lose there... capacity and the front ports tend to do that.

Also, check the BIOS for USB keyboard+mouse support and try all 4 combinations.

NO, I will not know what changed. We have far too much spyware, malware and aging components to deal with. If a cause is being sought then you must know it is rarely found. Fixes include the BIOS change and installing the motherboard drivers again.

I'd supply a link to such a driver but details remain slim in this discussion.
Bob

Collapse -
USB 2.0
by Phil Crase / July 27, 2009 11:04 PM PDT
In reply to: USB downloads

Is this a desktop or a laptop? How old is the computer?

Collapse -
usb download
by kappa07 / July 28, 2009 12:59 AM PDT
In reply to: USB 2.0

I have a desktop Pentium 4 completely updated working with XP SP2 and beforehand never had a problem with USB download, 4 ports upfront added to 4 on the back of the original tower

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!