Computer Help forum

General discussion

USB does not recognize

Hey,

I have a portable Napster YH-920 MP3 player. It connects to my laptop using a USB cable. However, now the computer does not even recognize the player or USB connection! I cannot transfer files anymore. The USB port DOES work, because I attached my digital camera and it immediately recongized it. I have tried the installation CD, restarted, etc. . . to no avail.

Looking for some ideas . .. Thanks.

Steve

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB does not recognize
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB does not recognize
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you considered that

In reply to: USB does not recognize

the cable may be bad?????

Collapse -
You haven't told us...

In reply to: USB does not recognize

What Windows version you are using or much else about your system as everyone is ask when submitting a post. If you have Win98 you may not be able to read some newer hardware that use USB 2 - Similarly if you have win98se or later and you haven't installed the USB 2 drivers this may also cause problems. You can get the drivers from Microsoft.
If these devices use a High speed-USB the same applies.
Regards,
Peter

Collapse -
Also..

In reply to: You haven't told us...

You must use the (latest) correct driver for the operating system which also matches the USB version - you should get these from Sony's web site or who ever made your play station.
Peter

Collapse -
OK

In reply to: Also..

Well, the cable being bad . . I'll have to check it out. It is pretty new.

I am using XP . . . I've used this MP3 player with USB cable for 5 months, no problems. The USB is compatible and so is the MP3 Player. Just today . . .all of a sudden it hasn't worked. Ocassionally, I would get a message saying Data Direct Sequel Link Agent has had a problem, then I "Send an error report" but I can't figure out what to do. Still unrecognized . . . As we all know, Tech help direct from the company is quite expensive . . . do I need to call them?

Steve

Collapse -
Try the following

In reply to: OK

1/Look in the "event viewer" in the admin tools folder - if you are logging error it should show up in the programs and system sub folders - the error message will be the same as you received when it happened but maybe a bit more info AS well as you cant follow the links to M$ "help and Support"
2/ Have you looked in Device manager to see if everything is working OK
3/Also look in accessories/sys tools/sys info - in particular look in the hardware folder and look at "problem devices"
4/ You sure the play station power is turned on !!!
5/ Try using a restore point.
6/ Try another USB port and remove all other non essential peripherals.
The above should keep you busy - let me know how you go.
Peter

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!