General discussion

USB device not recognised

Laptop
HP DV6108 - running XP

When I plug my external hard drive into the USB port up I get this error.

"USB device not recognized
One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it, for assistance in solving this problem, click this message"

When I click on that message it pulls up a list of USB ports

USB Root Hub
Unused Port
Unused Port
Unknown Device
Unused Port
Unused Port
Unused Port
Unused Port
Unused Port

I only have three USB ports on the laptop. The external hard drive works fine if I plug it into either port on the left side of the machine. The port will work fine for a wired optical mouse and I just tried my IPOD and it worked. I use this port also for checking coeds one my car with an OBDII to USB connector, and that doesn't work(and can only work with that COM port). I only got this external a month or so ago and think that it might have screwed something up. I tried to do a restore, but that didn't change anything.

When I go into the Device manager it lists these under the USB

Universal serial Bus Controler
Intel

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: USB device not recognised
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: USB device not recognised
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
woops

Sorry wrong section - I'll repost over in "laptop" - Mod please delete

- Collapse -
I linked it here so others can chime in.

Without losing the added details.

- Collapse -
(NT) Which one?
- Collapse -
Model

DV6108nr Didn't realize there where other 6108's

It's a 1 TB external that has it's own power.

Will try that driver and update

- Collapse -
Let's hope its not this model.
- Collapse -
read that

I read the post you linked to, but It's just one USB port that doesn't work the other two work fine. The brand of my drive is Cavalry.

- Collapse -
Didn't work

Installed that and nothing changed

Other idea's

- Collapse -
Then try the old fix.

Place an USB 2.0 HUB inbetween the non working port and the drive.

If this works then it's the old USB issues that have come back to haunt you. I don't want to type in what they proves but the choices are:

1. Use a drive that works in that port.
2. Use the USB 2.0 Hub.
3. Replace the motherboard.
Bob

- Collapse -
warranty

I have a warranty from best buy on this laptop, should I bring it in to them and have them diagnosis the issue, if it's hardware then they will replace what's bad, of course I'll have to backup everything first, since this is the wife's laptop

I don't have a USB hub right now, but I will go pick one up.

- Collapse -
Or...

It's only USB 1.x on the port that didn't work. Not unheard of and I leave it to you to research that. I did the research on why so many ports being reported.
Bob

- Collapse -
Why not go with what works where it works?

I think you wrote it works in the left ports. Why not go with what works?

- Collapse -
reason why

The reason why I need that port, is my Car code reader uses Com4 only and that port is set up as com4. Also, I like it when everything works the way that it should.

Thanks for your help, I'll get the USB hub tonight and give that a try.

- Collapse -
It worked - so that's a bad thing?

ok - I purchased a CyberPower 4 Port USB hub. That worked. I connect to the port via the USB hub and it reads the drive. What does this mean, it's for sure a Motherboard issue?

something else. I was looking in the device manager and realized that I was missing the "PORTS (COM & LPT)". Searched around and figured out how to get them back. New problem, I need was using COM4 before to connect to my car - now that says "in use" when I try to reassign the COM#. What would cause this? What is using the COM's? Is there a way to find out?
Sorry for all the questions. Thanks

- Collapse -
Just a link.
http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6993102/description.html is fairly technical but gives you a peek under the USB hood. The test is what it is and only reveals there is an issue with the USB clock and/or jitter. There is nothing that we do besides leave the usb hub there or replace the board that holds the not so great USB port. In the case of laptops this runs 300 to more dollars.

You can see why I just leave USB hubs installed.

My USB to Serial adapter does that same thing. It's in the documentation how to press onwards and make the change anyway. One owner was hopeless and refused to click the OK button to change it anyway in spite of the demo where I showed it was OK.
Bob
- Collapse -
About thoes other ports.

Read page 42 of http://download.intel.com/design/chipsets/datashts/30701303.pdf

"USB host interface with support for eight USB ports; four UHCI host controllers; one EHCI high-speed USB 2.0 Host controller"

That ONE EHCI USB Host controller could be the killer item here. Since you didn't lead off with the model number I spent my lookup time finding out I didn't know what laptop you have rather than checking to see if HP had put USB 1.1 ports on one side and USB 2.0 ports on the other.

Look into that.

But that handily DOCUMENTS why you see more than 3 USB ports.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info