Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

USB device is not recocogonised

by ukesh1 / September 11, 2010 4:28 PM PDT

Hello!
I'm currently running windows 7 as my main OS. But i needed windows xp for my project work. So I installed Xp using virtual machine and it installed perfectly. I wanted to connect an micro controller board via usb port. I installed the usb driver for the board successfully but Win xp is not recognizing the board. Any idea of what might be the problem ? I will give the link of the usb driver file for reference.

https://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/...CPDrivers.aspx

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB device is not recocogonised
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB device is not recocogonised
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"Bad request"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2010 8:53 PM PDT

That's what the link gives.

I don't have XP MODE up at the moment but when I connected my old USB Microscope to use under XP MODE I had to use the XP MODE MENU item to attach the USB device to the XP MODE virtual machine.
Bob

Collapse -
Corrected LInk
by ukesh1 / September 13, 2010 2:20 AM PDT
In reply to: "Bad request"
Collapse -
It's possible it is a non-standard USB.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 13, 2010 3:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Corrected LInk

It worked here because the USB identifiers were working. If some maker decided to do something non-standard then XP MODE would not work.

HOWEVER I see this is a VCP so for XP MODE I would not attach to the USB device but the COM port. Let's find an article about that.

But first, I see from your link they have the VCP for 7 so 7 hosts the VCP and then the XP MODE uses the COM port.

More at link following this: "If the serial ports work under Windows 7 you should just be able to go to VM settings and say Com1 is connected to this port and Com2 is connected to that port - but the VM only sees two emulated Com ports."
http://www.sevenforums.com/virtualization/58385-virtual-usb-serial-ports-xp-mode-64-bit.html

Interesting that XP MODE is good for only 2 COM ports.
Bob

Collapse -
i have the same problem too
by ikutakulah / September 20, 2010 11:33 AM PDT

hi,i have the same problem too.how i can find the XP MODE in my Windows XP and how to use it?thanks.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!