Peripherals forum

General discussion

USB Cords go bad?

Hello Again--
You all helped me solve a problem with my cd rom last week. Maybe now you can help me with my Lexmark x125 all-in-one. The short question, is it possible for the USB cord to go bad?

I have had this Lexmark for 1-2 years, and it has always required me to restart the computer every day as it "freezes" up and won't print if it hasn't been used for a while. Of course I wouldn't save the doc I was trying to print, so I would lose that and then have to sit while I restarted and then start all over again. For a printer without an on/off button, this need to restart has always troubled me.

So over the last month the restarts have not been working. Recently, I just couldn't get the thing to work even though the printer status showed ready. So, I moved the cord to the front usb ports and it started working again. Today, I had to unplug the cord several times before it would work. So is it the cord?

I have Windows XP Home Edition 2002, have downloaded all the Win Service Packs, and it's all running on a Compaq with AMD XP1700 processor 1.47 G with 480M of RAM.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB Cords go bad?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB Cords go bad?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
USB Cords go bad?

In reply to: USB Cords go bad?

Yes, they can, their cheep so get a couple of spares. John

Collapse -
Thanks!

Well, that would seem to be the quick fix this case...and they are cheap to boot! Gotta love that. Will pick up a couple tomorrow.
Jackie

Collapse -
Possibly not

Sure USB cables can go bad but seeing as you'd have to pull on it to break wires or a pet would have to chew on it I doubt that's your problem. You see if you had pulled it hard enough to break a wire you'd have unplugged it first. Since you didn't mention any pets I'm betting that's not your problem either. From my experience it's usually the female part of the connector rather than the cord. USB connectors were poorly designed and the male end tends to wallow out the female connector making for bad or intermittent connections.

If that doesn't solve the issue the next step is to look at the drivers. You said you've had to reinstall the software and that sends up red flags for me. Sometimes when you reinstall software there are bits left over from the previous install. Those bits can actually cause problems. Don't think that because you deleted the directory or used Microsoft's uninstaller that you got rid of it all because more often than not you haven't. There are usually sites on the net that will walk you through a thorough uninstall of particular software but you'll have to search them out.

Collapse -
Then again

In reply to: Possibly not

Speaking of drivers it might not bew a bad idea to check out your USB drivers under system devices. Somtimes you'll get multiple drivers listed in there that can cause troubles.

Collapse -
Thanks new cord worked

In reply to: Then again

John, I appreciate the info you have provided also...but the new cord seems to have fixed the problem. I guess a new cord would have fixed the adaptor end you were talking about too!

As to the uninstalling being a problem, dealing with my cd rom issue taught me that this is much more of a problem than I ever imagined. I will check this out if the problem crops up again. Thanks everybody for their help!
Jackie

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.