General discussion

USB configuration issues

I am having problems with USB's that require configuration to run devices. It started with a wireless mouse that worked with fine just with Vista but was not working after I configured the USB outlets for a GPS device. A second GPS device that also required configuration by CD caused the continued failure of the mouse and the failure of the first GPS device to communicate with the laptop.

My laptop has four USB ports and I hoped that there is a solution such as assigning each device to a separate port. Is any solution possible?

Fouche 56

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: USB configuration issues
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: USB configuration issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Check and verify

A laptop may not be capable to supply power to all USB devices if power hungry even if laptop is AC connected. There is a limited power amount plus the actual USB circuitry could possibility fail. On top of this you want two(2) GPS units installed, seems unique to me but also be the issue in setup, to include the GPS power demands.

In the control panel, review devices installed. If multiple yet *same* device is present, delete them and reboot and allow PC to detect, then reset them.

tada -----Willy Happy

- Collapse -
USB issues

I am not running all devices at once, sorry for my previous lack of clarity on that issue. The config for each new device seems to stuff the working of the previous devices.

It is a case of looking for a solution that does involve re-input of Vista whenever I want to use the mouse, re-input of the config for each GPS whenever I want to use either, or at times when I want to use a writing tablet.

Am I doomed to using the CD for configuration of the USB ports, for each device each time that I use it? There must be a better way.

Fouche56

CNET Forums

Forum Info