Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

usb composite device usbs in general

My laptop was sent to be repaired and had to have its mother board replaced. When I got it back, my brother all-in-one will not work. Brother says I need a usb composite device and usb mass storage device drivers. When I finally found a USB composite it said my hardware was not compatible. So, I can print with my Canon printer but I cannot print with the brother or scan. I can use the fax feature and the copy feature. Gateway is telling me all my device drivers are fine. I need to either download these drivers from somewhere or make the case with Gateway that the new hardware they installed is not compatible with these drivers. They probably don't want it back under the 90day warranty since they have already had to work on it twice - once to install motherboard then next they had to put a modem cable in that they left off. Thanks Ann Taylo

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: usb composite device usbs in general
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: usb composite device usbs in general
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What I often discover is

In reply to: usb composite device usbs in general

That Windows needs to be reinstalled. But on laptops we use the recovery media. After that we install the printer drivers.

If that fails and no USB devices work, it's back to the warranty calls.

Collapse -
USBs

In reply to: What I often discover is

Please tell me what "recovery media" is a where do I find it. Trying not to reload entire operating system again

Laptop

Collapse -
That is

In reply to: USBs

Easy to ask on google.com But since you don't want to reload the OS then it is time to ask the matter how to fix this without a reload.
Bob

Collapse -
USBs

In reply to: That is

Thanks will google recovery media thanks AT

Collapse -
Make, model numbers can help here.

In reply to: usb composite device usbs in general

I see Gateway, we have the XP OS (which SP?) but no model number. Maybe there is a driver for either USB or motherboard but I can't suggest that yet.
Bob

Collapse -
USBs

In reply to: Make, model numbers can help here.

Thanks for your reply. Model No. is CX210X. Gateway says they took OS back to factory settings when installed new mother board so don't see that doing that again would help. Brother saying they need USB composite device and USB mass storage device Have print support device. Can't find these and Gateway doesn't seem to have answer. Can't use scan to file, etc on brother machine. Can use manual fax, copy, can't use print since has to come from control center to machine. Can use canon stand alone printer.

Collapse -
USS

In reply to: Make, model numbers can help here.

Also model for brothr is MFC 7420

Collapse -
I read your entire post one more time.

In reply to: USS

I can't find where you installed the drivers for this all in one device.

Don't feel bad. I'm encountering a lot of folk that had such things setup for them and they didn't know that some tech pre-installed this for them. Later when Gateway or other makers fix the machine they plug in the printer and the learning begins.
Bob

Collapse -
USBs

In reply to: I read your entire post one more time.

MFC 7420 (computer CX210X Model No) working OK before installation of new motherboard. Repair said they took machine back to factory settings(reloaded OS) now mFC doesn't work. contacted Brother they said I am missing composite device driver and mass storage device driver. Said contact Gateway. Gateway humming and hawing. Control Center of brother must work in order to ask device to scan, or print so can't use pc fax or scan. Can't find out how to install these drivers. Found one blurb that may have read wrong but said once these are gone they can't be reinstalled?????? Gateway latest had me reinstall software from website still no working keeps saying "device not found". Going to contact Gaateway again today. This is 6th day and 7 techs later on this issue. Took 9 days of calls and 13 techs to get modem fixed. Thanks for your help and patience.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.