Computer Help forum

Question

USB Adapter Converter Cable

by IceTrailer / July 18, 2013 2:25 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB Adapter Converter Cable
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB Adapter Converter Cable
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
It has to be asked
by Jimmy Greystone / July 18, 2013 2:28 AM PDT

It has to be asked: Did you connect the power connector to the drive? You will often see external HDDs that can run off of USB power alone, but you can't rely on that with these kinds of solutions.

Collapse -
(NT) Yup, everything was plugged in
by IceTrailer / July 18, 2013 2:38 AM PDT
In reply to: It has to be asked

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Hey, I own that one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2013 2:33 AM PDT

Did you hook up the power and does the drive spin up?

Collapse -
by IceTrailer / July 18, 2013 2:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Hey, I own that one.

Yes I plugged in the power, but the hard drive was not spinning. Also what operating system do you use on the computer that you transfer too? The driver setup files that came with the device only are for Win98/XP. Just curious

Collapse -
No spinning. Not going to work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2013 2:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply

Too bad the details are lost here. As to the driver CD, I've never used it. Even on XP I never used it.

While I can't guess why the details are missing, all drives, unless that rare one with a spin up delay or on command feature (again the lack of detail hobbles your discussion) the drive must spin up when I connect the power (I did not write to connect the data connection) or I know the drive is dead.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Recheck cables
by Willy / July 18, 2013 5:17 AM PDT

Make darn sure the cables are fully seated though it may appear OK, just verify. I believe that adapter should have an LED light-up, does it? -OR- something showing power is present. Alas, make sure the USB port you're using is 2.0 and working. If yours is USB 3.0 that maybe an issue sometimes, 3.0 just doesn't want to work with all USB devices, they just don't.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Thanks. Remember I own that model.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2013 5:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Recheck cables

And my acid test is the drive MUST spin if I apply power only.

Yes there are few but very rare drives and only when we jumper them for delayed or start on command drives that it's 99.9999999 (nine nines) assured they don't have one of those so try one more time with just power.

If the drive didn't spin in it's host PC and that's why we pulled it, then a nearly 100% chance it's dead.
Bob

Collapse -
I have this too
by Willy / July 18, 2013 10:12 AM PDT

I found mine to have a "plastic knot" on the SATA connection. It was welded plastic, unable to clean cutting to remove it. It took awhile to figure that out. It was some waste plastic that got in there. go figure... adios -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!