Computer Help forum

General discussion

USB 28x Drive Failed after Trying to Uninstall Norton

by NorthBeachnik / February 5, 2008 6:20 AM PST

HP Pavilion 9410 Vista 2gb +2gb Ready Boost

I tried to uninstall Norton Systemworks 2007 (which I stupidly was using even though I should know better and which was causing problems such as delays). I went to the Symantec website and downloaded their Norton Uninstall program to my laptop. Ran the program. It scanned some of my hard drive and then...the screen froze.

The result: No sign of Norton Systemworks 2007, no folder, nothing EXCEPT Advanced Search on hidden, non-indexed, and system files shows 25 hidden Symantec files on my hard drive. Some if not all of these seem to be related to Symantec's reporting function.

Window's Defender and HP's reporting center (can't remember what you call it and I'm on a Lenovo right now) both report that I have NO firewall on now I do - I have Windows Firewall on now. I turned it on and turned OFF Norton's firewall just before I downloaded the Norton Uninstall program. Norton is also reporting to Windows that I DO have an anti-viral program running. I do NOT have an anti-viral program running. I did successfully delete tht part of Norton Systemworks and I have NOT yet downloaded AVG antiviral software.

Coincidentally or NOT, let's be honest here about the destructive and malevolent power of Norton, right after Norton Uninstall froze my screen and I rebooted I discovered that I had ANOTHER PROBLEM besides the 25 Norton Symantec hidden files still lurking in my system:

Device Manager AND System Reports both show my USB 28x Drive as FAILED. Just a couple of days before I had checked thorugh Device Manager and System Reports ITEM BY ITEM. I did this to make sure that everything was KOSHER and in GOOD HEALTH before I downloaded something from Symantec to delete the notorius Norton SYstemworks.

I believe the USB 28x Drive on my HP Pavilion 9410 is for backups, especially if I upgrade to Business Vista.

I have been told by an older, experienced computer repair tech (who I have personaly seen uninstall Norton from other user's system) that I NEED TO BACK UP MY DATA AND WIPE OUT MY DISK AND LOAD MY RECOVERY DISKS!!! Then I will have a factory new HP9410 (with bloatware...and Norton [although I won't be stupid enough to use it because "I'm in a hurry on a project and don't want to take the time to research the free downloadable anti-virals and take the time to download and uninstall them]).

Another tech who specializes in Data Recovery services only told me that Norton Uninstall froze on his computer halfway and he downloaded it again twice and eventually, he thinks got most of it out. Most isn't good enough for me. Plus my USB 28xDrive failed and his did not.

Anyway, he said to download and install AVG anti-viral and then download Norton Uninstall from Symantec's website and get the rest of Norton Systemworks off my drive.

But what do I do about the USB 28x Drive failure? Do I download a new USB driver and does that solve the problem?

When I asked the second (data recovery) tech this question, he said it might just be better to back up my data and wipe the drive and load the recovery discs and start over - factory new, etc. This is what the first tech saiid.

What do you think, fellow CNETers?

Many thanks in advance for all opinions and advice!

Alex

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB 28x Drive Failed after Trying to Uninstall Norton
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB 28x Drive Failed after Trying to Uninstall Norton
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?