HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

USB 2 drivers

by hoss9009 / January 22, 2005 11:23 AM PST

I have a compaq presario 2100 .... i've ripped it apart and put it back to gether again (metaphoricaly speaking) and i guess all along i've never noticed, but i dont have usb 2 drivers.... i got an ipod and it takes freakin' forever to upload stuff to it now... it took an hour to upload 3 gigs to it and 9 minutes to download to my girlfriends comp.
where did they go? how can i get them back?

Eric

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB 2 drivers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB 2 drivers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What O.S.?
by Stan Chambers / January 22, 2005 11:28 AM PST
In reply to: USB 2 drivers
Collapse -
XP
by hoss9009 / January 22, 2005 11:32 AM PST
In reply to: (NT) What O.S.?

XP

Collapse -
Eric again
by hoss9009 / January 22, 2005 11:32 AM PST

It also says when i put the ipod in that i need the usb 2 drivers

Collapse -
usb 2.0
by Stan Chambers / January 22, 2005 11:41 AM PST
In reply to: Eric again

Has the device worked before on this machine?
Does the mainboard support usb 2.0?
Have you installed usb 2.0 drivers for this device?

Collapse -
Try...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2005 11:42 AM PST
In reply to: Eric again

1. Supposedly the ipod will still work on USB 1.1
2. Do you have USB 2.0 Ports?
3. Read http://www.usbman.com
4. Make and model of the machine?
Bob

Collapse -
System
by hoss9009 / January 22, 2005 11:54 AM PST
In reply to: Try...

presario 2100
512 ram
amd athlon xp-m 2600

i really cant think of a time that i've used something via usb that would for sure need usb 2... i mean i have an hp printer and a usb mouse... but thats it

Collapse -
usb 2.0
by Stan Chambers / January 22, 2005 12:11 PM PST
In reply to: System

Your post implies that you haven't used this device on this particular machine before. I looked up you specs, but they don't specify usb 2.0 or 1.1.
You can look here: Start/Control Panel/System/hardware tab/Device Manager.
Click the plus sign beside the universal serial bus conrollers. Look for any description that says usb2.
If not listed there, your system may support usb 1.1 only.

Collapse -
device manager
by hoss9009 / January 22, 2005 12:36 PM PST
In reply to: usb 2.0

all it says is...
ALi pci to usb open host controller
and
usb root hub

Collapse -
tech specs
by hoss9009 / January 22, 2005 12:44 PM PST

i found this

2 USB, 1 Parallel IEEE 1284 (EPP/ECP), 1 Serial RS-232, 1 Keyboard / mouse Generic, 1 Headphones Output, 1 Microphone Input, 1 Display / video VGA, 1 Display / video S-video output, 1 Modem Phone line, 1 Network Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX

does this mean yes or no? and would i get the correct drivers if i did the factory instal?

Collapse -
usb
by Stan Chambers / January 22, 2005 1:46 PM PST
In reply to: tech specs

It appears that your hardware is usb 1.1. If it were usb 2.0, Windows xp will install it's own drivers for that.
If you have an open pci slot, you may be able to buy a usb 2.0 pci card to upgrade to 2.0. Otherwise you just have to accept 1.1 speeds.
Best of Luck

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.