PC Hardware forum

General discussion

USB-2 cable?

by Coryphaeus / May 28, 2004 11:43 PM PDT

Is there a difference between a USB-1 cable and a USB-2 cable? I'm getting conflicting reports from local stores.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB-2 cable?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB-2 cable?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:USB-2 cable?
by JMarchi / May 29, 2004 12:51 AM PDT
In reply to: USB-2 cable?

A USB 1 cable is not rated to run faster than the 13mhz they were designed for. While it may work faster it is likely to have problems with data errors and reliability if you try and run it at the full USB 2 speed.

They pretty much stopped making USB 1 cables when USB 2 came out. Stores would love to get rid of old stock.

Collapse -
by snapshot / May 29, 2004 12:54 AM PDT

The June issue of MaximumPC magazine (page 34) tested two USB-2 cables against a USB-1 cable.

The fastest of the USB-2 cables ($50 Monster Cable), ran one percent faster than the USB-1 cable.

Their conclusion, use the USB-1 cable.

Collapse -
Back to school for MaximumPC.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2004 1:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:USB-2 cable?

The article failed to use a meaningful sample size.

Comparing 3 cables doesn't make anything true except it proved something for those 3 cables and not about what the rest of the cables we all have.

Look up "minimum sample size" and how that relates to "degree of confidence." Here's a short review on statistics -> http://www.graphpad.com/articles/interpret/Analyzing_one_group/descr_stats.htm

Besides the sample size needing to be increase, each cable should be from a different maker to see if there is an issue.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks guys. . .
by Coryphaeus / May 29, 2004 11:22 AM PDT

My new system has 4 USB-2 ports. All my older peripherals are USB-1 that came with USB-1 cables. I have one new device that is USB-2 and came with a cable (USB-2 I suppose).

The older devices are a scanner, Zip-100 drive, and a printer which USB-X is pretty much useless anyway because of the device speeds themselves. My new device is an external drive case that I have a 12-10-32 CD burner in. For high speed data transfer, USB-2 would be better.

Thanks for the input,

Wayne

Collapse -
Re:Thanks guys. . .
by chuckieu / May 30, 2004 1:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks guys. . .

I asked Bob this question a while back when I got a new MOBO that had onboard USB 2.0. HE told me about extra shielding, etc if you cut into the cable. MY problem is, while I don't mind paying a little extra for the USB 2.0 cables, they won't let me cut a cable in two to make sure it's not USB 1.1. I have found no markings on cable to show they are diffrent.;-). chuck

Collapse -
It's not only if they work, there's a matter of RF EMISSIONS too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 30, 2004 3:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:Thanks guys. . .

This is yet another area the magazine article FAILED MISERABLY on. Not only must manufacturers supply you a cable that works, but doesn't act like an ANTENNA and radiate those signals.

Simple measures such as twisting the wires, selecting the right gauge wire and some shielding might be required, but only to meet EMISSIONS testing.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
by Willy / May 30, 2004 4:13 PM PDT

If you have need for USB2 type cable, get it as that is rated for such use. It boils down to a matter of better "shielding" of the cable to allow the higher speed level of USB2 usage. In essense they are the same, except for that. Plus, it maybe rated for distance variance as well(not sure). Of course USB2 cable works with USB1 usage, however you can use USB1 cable but except "drop-outs" or problematic operation at some point. Also, look for the USB2 approved label to signified usage. Check the http://www.usb.org for possible/actual details.

good luck -----Willy

Collapse -
Missing the point?
by chuckieu / May 31, 2004 4:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:USB-2 cable?

We agree(most of us, anyway) that USB 2.0 cables are better, and preferable. What I stated is that there is no
external markings to be sure you are actually getting the
USB 2.0 cable you paid for. chuck

Collapse -
Re:Missing the point?
by Willy / May 31, 2004 1:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Missing the point?

Some better "name brand" cables that are packaged are labeled "USB2 ready or certified". Many of the simple plastic wrapped ones aren't or use doubtful stick-on labels. The premium cost is suppose to justify USB2 ready, but nope I can't recall an actual cable jacket/cover that said, USB2 or IEEEwhatever????? I just go by what the boss orders, so far no hassles.

Adios -----Willy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?