Computer Help forum

General discussion

USB 2.0 Suddenly USB 1.1 in Vista

by MrFurious55 / November 28, 2009 5:17 PM PST

I recently was minding my own business, when all my USB 2.0 ports on My HP Vista system became 1.1!

Everything was working fine, then boom. Now it's a snail. It says all the latest drivers are up to date in device manager, I went to Intel and got the latest Chipset drivers, and I even wiped for a Vista reinstall.

I've taken everything off the hub and plugged in directly to the mobo USB, I even added a USB PCI card. No luck!

Everything always comes up 1.1 now. Driving me crazy! Any help would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB 2.0 Suddenly USB 1.1 in Vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB 2.0 Suddenly USB 1.1 in Vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some specs on the system.
by MrFurious55 / November 28, 2009 5:19 PM PST

Some specs:

Running a stock HP m7760n with Vista 32.
USB issues are with my external Hard drives, tried two, and my external writer. Tried them on other computer, no issues.

Collapse -
I feel your pain
by rucks / December 1, 2009 9:07 AM PST

I have a HP Pavillion m8100y w/ vista 32 sp2. I've been trying to fix this same problem for months now. Hp has been no help. I've tried just about everything. USB 1.1 is cramping my style. Help!?

Collapse -
re: USB
by nerd4real / December 2, 2009 2:56 AM PST
In reply to: I feel your pain

Kind of a longshot - but have you checked your BIOS settings?

Collapse -
Bios settings
by rucks / December 2, 2009 9:45 PM PST
In reply to: re: USB

The USB legacy support is disabled in bios.

Collapse -
re: USB legacy support
by nerd4real / December 3, 2009 12:36 AM PST
In reply to: Bios settings

That setting is okay. I was thinking you might have a setting like I have in my AwardBIOS for Onchip USB - possible settings are V.1.1, V1.1+2.0 or Disabled. Sniffing around though, I did stumble on this article at the HP site that concerns a Microsoft fix:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00820197&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3463405#N954
Another longshot though, since you probably already have those updates. Strange problem - I'd like to know what's causing it too.

Collapse -
"I have detailed Files" - Terminator 2
by MrFurious55 / December 3, 2009 2:33 AM PST
In reply to: re: USB legacy support

I appreciate the input, and will let you know about some of the things I've done in trying to fix this issue. Most of this is based on other forums.
1. Updated Chipset Drivers through Intel, Updated with older drivers also just in case.
2. Ran all windows updates.
3. Ran all HP recommended Hotfixes. They all said that my machine didn't meet requirements and would not install, presumably because updates were...... up to date.
4. Updated BIOS, reset BIOS.
5. Device Manager Update Drivers(said drivers were up to date)
6. Updated every driver on the hp website for this rig.
7. plugged all USB devices in directly to rig(no hub)
8. Turned Legacy Off, then on tried in both scenarios.

9. This finally kind of worked, but not a fix:
Uninstalled all USB Root Hubs in Device Manager, and restarted.
Plugged in a USB Key and held breath. 2.0! Plugged in old External HD, 1.1!

Repeateded process of uninstalled USB root hubs, restarted, plugged in newer external HD, and 2.0! Plugged in iPhone, and 1.1.
The best I've been able to do so far.....

Collapse -
device manager
by rucks / December 3, 2009 7:39 AM PST

In the device manager under USB controllers there are
6 "Intel(R)ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller-2934" and
2 "Intel(R)ICH9 Family USB Enhanced Host Controller-293A"

I only have 6 USB ports (two in the front and 4 in the back).

Collapse -
tried that
by rucks / December 3, 2009 7:43 AM PST
In reply to: re: USB legacy support

Been to that HP page a number of times. Tried the windows update and it said it did not apply to my system. Thanks for your help. Any other suggestions?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?