Computer Help forum

Question

USB 2.0 not working, but system restore fixes it

For my edification, please help identify why this happened.

The PC is an HP, using Win 7, 8Gb RAM, all Windows updates current. Norton AV up to date.

Today, I couldn't get a single USB 2.0 slot to work. Card reader, too. I have a PCI slot for a USB 3.0. That did work.

When I checked the Device manager for the USB connections, several of them said that Windows could not load the drivers. I checked for updating the driver software, but it said it was up-to-date.

I did a system restore point, roughly a week ago, and now those 2.0 ports are working again.

What would cause this to happen? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB 2.0 not working, but system restore fixes it
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB 2.0 not working, but system restore fixes it
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Most common?

In reply to: USB 2.0 not working, but system restore fixes it

Someone accepted a driver from Windows Update. Lesson? Don't do that.

Collapse -
drivers...which ones?

In reply to: Most common?

Bob, thanks for that tip. Should I look for the drivers in the update, then skip them (uncheck) all? If I do this, will I run into a problem for future items that need drivers, or is there a work around? Thanks again.

Collapse -
Yes.

In reply to: drivers...which ones?

But here the drivers show up in the optional updates and are unchecked. But folk often think it's from MSFT so it's fine or mandated.

There are also other reasons that I won't go deep on today. Tools that monitor USB could be broke by a security update and bam the USB goes down.

USB 3.0 has turned sour in my view. It was a good idea but something's amiss with it. Too many Dells shipped with not ready for prime time drivers, etc.
Bob

Collapse -
I'll watch closely

In reply to: Yes.

Thanks, Bob. I'll keep all of this in mind. I haven't had a problem with USB 3.0, though. Things seem to be working okay with it. Of course, I'm using a PCI card for those. Thanks again.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.