Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

USB 1 or 2

by lablover / August 23, 2006 8:12 AM PDT

How can I tell if I have USB 1 or 2 ports?

Belarc advisor doesn't tell me much.

Dell 4700, Win XP home SP2.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USB 1 or 2
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USB 1 or 2
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ask Dell
by john_mcdoogle / August 23, 2006 8:30 AM PDT
In reply to: USB 1 or 2

You should be able to find the answer in any literature that may have been provided (usually on one of the supplied CDs), you could look up the system specs for your model on the Dell website, or even email/call their tech support people.

If you happen to have a USB 2.0 device handy, you can always plug it in and see what happens as well.

A third option is checking in the Device Manager for an "EHCI" listing, or "Enhanced Host Controller Interface". If you see that, you have USB 2.0 ports.

Collapse -
USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 ports
by Themisive / August 24, 2006 12:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Ask Dell

There is no difference in these ports, the only difference is the actual drivers used by the system. Unfortunately I have no idea what system specs you have, but if you have a driver disk - for anything - with USB 2.0 on it, you can use this to update your drivers.

It may be a good idea to put all your system specs including the PSU rating and the amount of RAM you use, as well as what you use to clean the unit - anti-virus, anti-spyware and such - on your profile. That way whan you want help, all you need to do is say "for system specs, see my profile". If you want to see what's needed, take a look at my profile.

That way if we need to check for system specs, we have most or all of the info we need, and are able to give you better answers. Sure the profile needs updating, but only when you update your machine, so it's not such a big job.

Collapse -
Oh yes there is!
by john_mcdoogle / August 24, 2006 1:47 AM PDT

The ports themselves are the same, but USB 2.0 is NOT software upgradeable from anything else. There is a difference in the controller hardware between the two.

You MUST have the USB 2.0 controller, either on the motherboard or a PCI card, in order to take full advantage of USB 2.0 devices. There is no way around this.

Collapse -
Re: Oh yes there is!
by Themisive / August 24, 2006 11:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Oh yes there is!

All my USB ports were either already profiled for USB 2.0 or were profiled for USB 1.1. However, those that were 1.1 DID upgrde to 2.0 with the driver disk!

Collapse -
Only if the hardware already supports USB 2.0
by ACT-Colorado / August 25, 2006 1:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Oh yes there is!

If you have USB 2.0 capable ports which are misconfigured causing them to fall back to USB 1.1 then yes, upgrading the driver will correct the problem and allow them to properly function as USB 2.0 ports.

If you have older hardware only capable of USB 1.1 no driver update will ever allow that port to become USB 2.0.

In your case you claim you already had some ports configured as USB 2.0 clearly your hardware already supported USB 2.0 to begin with.

Collapse -
Like Belarc, you dont say much lablover either
by DarCLew2 / August 24, 2006 2:39 AM PDT

Dell 4700 is that a Dell Demension, Inspiron, XPS or?
USB are either 1.1 or 2.0 and the only Dell 1400 I could find was Dell Dimension 1400 and there are three or more types. Is it a Laptop or a Desktop?
(Note: please be sure to include all your system info)
That is the red lines above Subject title
try: http:\\www.dell.com

As far as the other info provided, I have 1.1 USB Ports and it is not updatable to 2.0, therefore, any 2.0 devices will not work on this computer - only 1.1
Darrell Lewis

Collapse -
usb 1.1 speed ever...
by jean-claude.miller / August 24, 2006 7:59 PM PDT

"any 2.0 devices will not work on this computer - only 1.1" _ false! they will work but only at "1.1 speed"!

Collapse -
AFAIK, Dell's only model w/"4700" are the Dimensions
by ackmondual / August 25, 2006 3:05 AM PDT

Furthermore, having bought 2 Dell PCs myself, I know the all Dimension model lines are deskttops, all Inspions are laptops, and while XPS's can either refer to desktops or laptops, they're often referenced by generation like the mainstream ipods.

And I agree with jean-claude.miller's post. The backwards compatibility of a USB 2.0 port works with USB 1.1 devices. The flipside is also be true, altho with both cases, it is indeed at best the USB 1.1 speed

Collapse -
USB 2.0 is available message
by scottduge / August 24, 2006 8:28 PM PDT

I just got a LaCie brick 300gb external hard drive for use to back up my system (I just had a scare and thought I'd lost my default internal hd and am just now getting smart about how much data I absolutely can not afford to lose) anyway... when I plugged it in my hp media center m1050y tells me that it recognizes the device but that it would work better if I connected it to one of the available USB 2.0 ports. I've connected it to every USB port in my entire system including the USB hub and my other networked computer. I can't seem to locate the 2.0 port. Is there any way to find this in the device manager? Is it possible that it is seeing my multi-card reader as a USB port? I'm running my brick at 1.1 speed but would really like to learn how to locate the 2.0 that my system says I have.

Thank you.

Collapse -
by patnesha / August 24, 2006 10:26 PM PDT

When you connect an USB 2.0 certified device to an USB 1.0/1.1 port in a PC with Windows XP, a notification tells you that your device can perform faster with an USB 2.0 port.
Said port does not exist on your computer, since if you had an USB 2.0 capable port anywhere on your computer all of your other ports should be USB 2.0 capable as well, unless these other ports are from an external card which does not support USB 2.0.
Windows XP only shows the notification to tell you that the performance you get is not the peak performance of the USB device and using a computer with USB 2.0 sockets will allow you to get the peak performance.
By the way, for those who were discussing USB 1.1 and 2.0, the major difference is the transfer speed. USB 1.1 supports at most 12 Mbps (1.5 MBps) transfer rates but USB 2.0 supports up to 480 Mbps (60 MBps).
Note: 8 Mbps (megabits per second) = 1 MBps (megabytes per second, since 8 bits make a byte and typically data transfer, especially over the web, is based on bits.

Collapse -
It's easier
by john_mcdoogle / August 24, 2006 10:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Reply

If you just divide by 10 in your calculations to account for the overhead. It gives you results that are more like what you're actually going to see, not theoretical maximums that can never be obtained. Plus, it's just easier to divide by 10 than 8.

Collapse -
HP and USB 2 recognition
by Randall029 / August 25, 2006 7:07 AM PDT

sheowahya,
I've got an HP Media Center m495c and recently bought a Seagate 250GB external. I had the same experience of not finding a port that the computer would recognize as 2.0 I had my external plugged in to the USB hub, which is supposedly 2.0 compatible, and got the same message you did. My available port(s) were the ones on the front, but I didn't want to have to hook my drive up there. I wanted to leave them free for thumbdrive, mp3 player, etc. - easy access & temporary connections. So I plugged my wireless mouse/keyboard and media center IR remote into the hub and used the back ports for my external hard drive, printer and scanner. I figured I didn't need a high speed port for a mouse. Apparently sharing with other stuff on the hub just didn't cut it for the hard drive. Now that it's alone on one port it does just fine.

Collapse -
here's how....
by ackmondual / August 25, 2006 3:30 AM PDT

This should be universal, or the same across various versions Windows down to Win95

here's the illustration of what to look for....
http://ask-leo.com/how_can_i_tell_if_i_have_usb_20.html

and here's how to get there....
-right click My Computer icon and choose Properties
(NOTE: for winXP users, it's either on the desktop or in the start menu depending on if you're using classic winXP start menu or the new winXP start menu
-clik the Hardware tab
-click Device Manager
-expand the Universal Serial Bus Controller item in the tree by clicking the '+' button
-as shown in the illustratin above look, look for the word "Enhanced"

Collapse -
well that was just TOO easy
by scottduge / August 25, 2006 4:06 AM PDT
In reply to: here's how....

Thank you VERY much for that wonderfully simple explanation!!

Now I know Happy

Collapse -
Glad to know it helped!
by ackmondual / August 25, 2006 5:58 AM PDT

Tho I'm a bit surprised no1 else mentioned this yet. I tend to either not know as much as the vets on here or reply at a later time.

Collapse -
USB 1 or 2
by grayfrier / August 25, 2006 6:03 AM PDT

Go to start then programs then Administrative Tools then Computer Management then Device Manager Look for Universal Bus Controllers click on the (+) look down the list for a USB2 Enhanced Controller if its there you have USB2 if not then you have USB1.

Collapse -
USB 1 or 2
by tayyar032 / February 13, 2009 3:13 AM PST

I have Windows XP how do I know if there is USB port for 1 or 2?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!