Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Usage log

I want to keep a record of when each member of the family logs on to the PC - in fact to be honest I just want to limit the amount of time my son spends on the PC. I already use the Macfee suite so I don't want to add a freeware 'child-safe' suite. Surely there must be an easy way of doing this from within XP ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Usage log
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Usage log
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Nope...

In reply to: Usage log

Collapse -
Sorry...

In reply to: (NT) Nope...

My cable company froze for a few minutes, and when it reconnected, it only sent the subject, not the message body. Sorry about that.

Windows XP does not include any parental control features, so it is not easy to log a user's access attempts, and it is impossible to limit the amount of time that he can spend on the computer. The only way to do this natively with XP is to create an account for him (only you know the password), then log him on and off at your discression.
-------------------------------------------------------
However, you can somewhat do this using McAfee InternetSecurity Suite as long as Privacy Service is installed. Right-click the McAfee icon next to the clock in the task bar, go to privacy service, then "users." Add a new user, and make it the "start-up" user. During the account creation, you'll be able to limit his internet activity to certain hours (although this does not apply to the computer in general).

NOTE: The new account will automatically be loaded for all users of the computer unless you switch users to your own McAfee account after you log onto Windows. (This is a minor flaw in the McAfee suite.)

Then, when you want to check his activity, right-click the McAfee icon, go to Privacy Service, and then "view event log." It will display the user name used, as well as when it loged on and off.
-------------------------------------------------------
Unfortunately this is the best that can be done with the programs you currently have. The only other method available is to download a set of parental control utilities (such as CyberPatrol) which limit the times a user can log onto the computer, what he can use it for, etc. As far as I klnow, there are no good free suites, so expect to pay $40+ for the ability.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
No.

While XP (and moreso Pro) has some fine reporting tools (see Event Viewer), it't not easy enough for some. But it did get easier than say Windows NT.

Bob

Collapse -
Try this

Collapse -
WOW!

In reply to: Try this

I had looked into restricting a user's access by time from within Windows XP before, but never even heard of this way. Great tip!

Few things I found when testing it:
M=monday; T=tuesday; W=wednesday; Th=thursday; F=friday, Sa=saturday, S=sunday.

To disable the time-lock feature, type "net user username /time:M-S,12am-12am"

The only catches are that it only works in one-hour increments and that it only works on limited user accounts...if your son has administrative access, he can disable it during his allowed time period.

John

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.