Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Usable backup/copy of Outlook emails

by gailfrank / November 16, 2005 1:00 AM PST

I would like to empty all my Outlook (not Express) email messages and start with a "clean" slate, keeping all my rules, contacts, email address etc. I have thousands of old messages and it would take hours to sort and delete the ones I need from the ones I don't, or to set up new rules/accounts/contacts.

I know there are backup and archive utilies built into the program, but I have to refer back to old emails once or twice a week, so I need the files to be accessible and searchable, and not have to go through a long restore/delete process each time.

Is there some easy way to do this? Like the "SAVE AS" feature in Word that allows you to create a copy of the file with a slightly different name that you can simply open when you need it? Thanks! Gail

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Usable backup/copy of Outlook emails
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Usable backup/copy of Outlook emails
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
archiving email in outlook express
by glennlee / November 16, 2005 2:16 AM PST

From the file drop down menu select export messages. This will create an archive of your messages to a folder you designate. You can then write this to a cd or dvd if you have a burner. To access this archive, you will have to ''point'' your OE to the location of your archive in the options menu. You are then free to clean out all your old emails and start with a clean slate. Good luck.

Collapse -
Outlook, not express
by gailfrank / November 16, 2005 2:44 AM PST

Hi-- I do not have Express, I am using Outlook. Will this work for that? And how do I open all the old emails? I do not understand the reference to "point OE". Thanks for a peedy response

Gail

Collapse -
Gail, the EASIEST way is...
by Edward ODaniel / November 16, 2005 3:51 AM PST
In reply to: Outlook, not express

to quite simply ARCHIVE all your current folders.

Do this by opening Outlook and selecting the File menu.

In the File menu select Archive.

Now, in the Archive window -
1. select the radio button to "Archive this folder and all sub folders"

2. select "Personal Folders"

3. select a date (should be the date of the oldest message)

4. Check the "Include items with "Do not Archive" checked

5. provide a file name such as prior_to_11-16-05.pst

6. click OK and just sit tight until it is done.

Now all the messages should no longer be in your Outlook.pst file (they won't show up in your folders) but they will be readilly accessible in the new file.

To access that file click the File menu and select Open then "Personal Folders file (pst)..." and in the window that opens select or browse to the newly named archive file, select it and open. It will open at the top of your folder list as "Archive Folders" where you can access any or all of the messages.

Next thing to do is make use of Outlook's Help and learn how to AUTOARCHIVE each and every mail folder.

Collapse -
You can do this also
by PKsteven / November 17, 2005 12:05 PM PST

What I do to back up my emails is create a folder called, well, emails and go to your inbox, select all, (making sure your email folder that you created is visible) drag all emails to the folder. I then burn them to an open disk so I can add more down the road if I decide to keep them.

Paul

Collapse -
Hi Gail,
by mandyrchtr / November 19, 2005 11:01 AM PST

I do have Outlook Express, but I assume you would be able to save you Outlook emails/addresses to CD-using Rewritable Cd's (CDRW)- that way as you find some you no longer want - just delete - or you can add.

There are many free burning programs - I use Ashampoo...although my windows Media Player has Roxio if I chose that to use.

I think on CD is better - just pop it in and away you go.

Also saves space on the computer itself...particularly if you have many emails as you said.

Good Luck Gail
Mandy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?