Laptops forum

General discussion

USA tech support

I want to buy a laptop and so far am considering Acer. Would like to know though if there is any other computers that have 24/7 toll free phone help but must be in USA. I am tired of trying to understand these people in India, etc. I do not want to purchase a computer thru one of the large box stores and then have to pay them for support when it should be free for the first year. Once I know what companies I will deal with then I will have to start with what I am looking for which I am sure will be the next problem.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: USA tech support
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: USA tech support
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What type of problem?

In reply to: USA tech support

Hardware? I got someone in the USA.

Software? Windows type things? You never know who you'll get.
Bob

Collapse -
USA tech support

In reply to: What type of problem?

So if you have tech support in US then what make is your laptop? I just need the names of these companies please.

Collapse -
The answer here.

Each company changes this without notice. And you can do your calls to each one prior to purchase to find out what today's answers are.

If this is that important, pick up the phone now.
Bob

Collapse -
I read something that Acer tech support is in the USA.

I did a google and did get a number in the US. At least it said it was a US number.

google:Acer tech phone support in USA.

Collapse -
I can only vouch for the hardware support.

In reply to: I read something that Acer tech support is in the USA.

The reason is simple. We never call for a Windows or software issue.
Bob

Collapse -
Acer computers

In reply to: I read something that Acer tech support is in the USA.

I already know this as the Acer is one I am considering and have already talked to the company to verify their tech support. I am looking for other companies so I have more than 1 to compare.

Collapse -
Dell USA Support Options

Hi,

I am not sure about other manufacturers, but Dell does offer support from US based queues. The service offering is called "Your Tech Team," and does come at an extra cost. You can choose to upgrade to this service at point of sale on most of our laptops. I believe the Mini line is the only exception. Just look for any Dell system that has an option for Your Tech Team in the Warranty and Service section of the online sales configurator. For now, I believe all Your Tech Team phone queues are staffed in the US, and I have heard of no plans to change that.

More info on Your Tech Team- http://tinyurl.com/6zl72c

Collapse -
Your Tech Team is for Consumer Systems

In reply to: Dell USA Support Options

Just forgot to mention that YTT is only for consumer systems- Inspiron, Studio, Studio XPS, XPS. The offering for US support on Latitude, Vostro and Precision Workstations is called ProSupport.

Collapse -
Thanks Dell Bill and other dell staffers.

In reply to: Your Tech Team is for Consumer Systems

Thanks for all your work all over. Nice to see such replies.

Collapse -
PAY for warranty support??? LOL I think not

In reply to: Dell USA Support Options

I think the companies should make products better so they last and not need the extra support. People should not have to PAY for support as products are already priced too high. We work to hard for our money and do not need to donate more to companies who make inferior products. There should be no support for US citizens in other countries. The jobs need to be kept in the USA where we need them.
I know now that I will buy the Acer since nobody has suggested or even knows of another company with support in our country.
As for Dell they can go fly a kite. I have suffered through with them since 2005 with this stupid computer. I call for support and they have me crying on the phone and at times feel like I am having a heart attack. One girl wanted ME to take my computer apart and do a repair myself. This was uncalled for as she did not know what was really wrong and was reading from a book like they all do. My friend fixed this problem without having to go through all the rigamaroll.
No, I do not want to go through 4 years of hell again with Dell nor any other company who outsources jobs from our country.
SUPPORT JOBS FOR USA CITIZENS

I am typing this on a Dell and have tried to submit it 5 times but it never goes through. So there!!!!! Hopefully the 6th time will be the last. Dell can go to H___.!!!!

Collapse -
Not so sure Acer support is all in America

In reply to: PAY for warranty support??? LOL I think not

I don't want to bash Acer. They make some great products and are doing some good things in the market place. However, I am not sure how much research you did on Acer support before you decided on them. Might want to do some Googling.

Sorry to hear about your frustration with the Dell. Hate to lose your business, but I understand how you feel.

As far as your points about outsourcing and paid support, I'll be almost as frank with you as you were with us.
1. People overseas work for less money than people in the US (duh), therefore the cost of tech support is less, hence prices in the competitive PC market for all vendors reflect that cost savings in order to compete on price. Believe it or not, the cost of support is factored in to the purchase price.
2. "People should not have to PAY for support as products are already priced too high." I think that's an unreasonable assertion. Support covers more than break/fix. Some people's expectations of support are that they should be shown by the PC vendor how to use their computer. Nobody calls Ford and asks them how to drive, do they? But if a person feels they need to be able to call someone and ask how to set up their email or install Office service packs, then they should be offered a service that provides that level of support, for a fee.
3. "There should be no support for US citizens in other countries." Can't say I disagree with you there, but given the comparitive labor costs, US support is going to cost you more than third world support.
4. "I know now that I will buy the Acer since nobody has suggested or even knows of another company with support in our country." Like I said, you may need to research about Acer's customer satisfaction numbers and how their tech support works. Not saying it's bad. Just saying it doesn't sound like either of us has the whole picture.
5. "One girl wanted ME to take my computer apart and do a repair myself." Probably just not great troubleshooting skills on our part. Point conceded, but we do feel in most cases if the customer can work with us on the phone to add and remove parts, we can diagnose the problem more accurately and have a higher first time fix rate. This facilitates correct parts going out on onsite dispatches. By the way, does Acer offer onsite warranties, or are all those horror stories I just read about long depot mail in repairs (customer pays for the shipping, btw) one-off's?
6. "...nor any other company who outsources jobs from our country." Amusing that you seem to be under the impression Acer is an American company with no overseas employees. If you stick to that line of rhetoric, we are going to get the impression you are being unreasonable.
7. "I am typing this on a Dell and have tried to submit it 5 times but it never goes through." Couldn't possibly be user induced error, malware not installed by Dell, or software conflicts out of our scope are causing the issue, right? Wink Just being able to post at all validates the hardware is functioning as designed.

Good luck with your Acer. I like the looks of the Aspire line and their netbooks. The Ferrari 1100 looks pretty cool, but a little light on graphics.

Collapse -
not so sure acer support.........

In reply to: Not so sure Acer support is all in America

Naturally you are going to stand up for Dell since you are paid by them. But I as a consumer think the support stinks. I asked for help from other consumers not another computer company. I do not want another computer company views. So stay out of my forum questions and don't bother me again.
As for the Dell I have there is no spyware as I constantly run and check on this and also run all other sytem accessories to clean disk, fragment, etc.
I would rather pay more to a company who employs US citizens to help US citizens with their products than pay less and have inferior foreigners trying to read out of a book and tell me what I have to do.
That girl had no right to expect me to take my computer apart when I had bought additional warranty to cover in home repairs. They don't care what happens to the clients and if I should of had a heart attack trying to do something I should not be trying then what are they going to do? "OOPS, someone just died on the other end of this call. Guess that problem is solved."
If I could have someone build me a laptop I would since the only computers I have never had problems with were custom built by someone I knew.
I have considered Acer along with another company who also has US tech support and have read reviews and decided on the Lenovo who will upgrade my computer to what I want and not what is sold in stores.

Collapse -
I guess you didn't realize this was a Dell forum...

In reply to: not so sure acer support.........

This is a Dell forum hosted by CNET. If you post in it, there is a strong likelihood someone from Dell will reply. Is it me, or is it ironic that someone who wants any PC BUT a Dell would post in a Dell forum asking for advice on what PC to buy?

You might have results closer to what you are expecting if you post here: http://forums.cnet.com/5204-7587_102-0.html?forumID=69

CNET's description of that forum at the above link:
Laptops forum
CNET's Forum on laptops is the best source for finding help, troubleshooting, and getting buying advice from a community of experts. Discussion topics include upgrading your laptop, installing laptop components, tablet PCs,MacBook, ThinkPad, Dell laptops, and HP laptops.

CNET's description of this forum:
Dell forum
Welcome to the Dell forum on CNET! This forum is staffed by Dell employees to help you with questions,troubleshooting, or buying advice with any products Dell has to offer. While there will be Dell reps to assist you with your questions, often the most helpful answers come from CNET forum members themselves, so please don't hesitate to jump right in and be part of the conversations. Enjoy!

Collapse -
Forum???

In reply to: I guess you didn't realize this was a Dell forum...

I think not as it was titled laptop forums and I saw Dell as another one. SO THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
You're right...

In reply to: Forum???

I apologize. My mistake.

Collapse -
It's a fact that most companies support is over seas.

In reply to: not so sure acer support.........

It's a cost saving reason why this exist. It's also a global marketplace and the USA companies are competing worldwide. Another issue i see where I work is the Helpdesk and support people are the least experienced people and lowest paid employees in most IT departments. Another fact if all laptops are manufactured overseas even the ones with American names on them. Yes the American companies design them but they basically built in Taiwan and China. I have an Acer which is a good product I haven't had to call support so I don't know if they have people in the US. But I will vouch for their laptop at least the one I own and I am going to buy another Acer.

Collapse -
It's a fact.........

In reply to: It's a fact that most companies support is over seas.

At first I had considered Acer but I called their sales and they do not take orders and build them to your specifications. They instead referred me to a dealer website that sells them. I have decided on Lenovo and was able to speak with a salesperson in VA who helped me put one together. Also what I like is that they have a support program which will come to your home within 24 hours and do whatever repairs are needed. This is similar to the support I bought from Dell but they would never come to my home unless they had to replace hardware and put me through a lot of H_ _ _ on the phone. I asked them to come to my home but they wouldn't.
I swear that if I ever have problems with Lenovo like I had with HP and Dell I will never buy another computer of any kind. I tell everyone I meet to stay away from these companies. Dell because of their support and HP due to the fact that after only 2 weeks the mother board had to be replaced, plus their foreigners in support.
Good luck with your new Acer. Its good to hear that someone has purchased this brand and it is as good as I have heard.

Collapse -
Wrong Question

I used to think this was the right question and was annoyed when I'd get some non english speaking person. Then my run of luck wiht computers changed and I really started having to use these services. USA, India, wherever didn't matter so much as the policy of the company behind them. Dell for example gave me good old USA people to work with but the service was absolutly the worst I've ever had. Apple, I have no clue where the person was but they fixed my problem quickly.

Now USA and good service at the same time? That's a great question. I don't have an answer though.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.