Speakeasy forum

General discussion

US To Attack N Korea At The End Of October?

OK, so say the subject line is misleading, I didn't make it up. What is your opinion of the scheduled naval exercises off the coast of North Korea at the end of October? Here is one man's opinion:

Buried in an article in today's International Herald Tribune, without any particular emphasis, was a significant item of information: -- The United States has scheduled naval exercises off the coast of North Korea at the end of October.

I can imagine only one explanation for a decision to schedule such naval exercises (by definition, optional) at precisely that time. Bush-Cheney-Rove wants to have the option, if Bush's election does not appear assured in the week prior to election day, to either (1) seek to provoke a genuine North Korean attack on an American ship -- and retaliate or (2) in good Gulf of Tonkin style, claim a non-existent North Korean attack -- and retaliate or (3) launch a frankly "preventive" or "pre-emptive" attack against North Korea.

http://www.rense.com/general56/october.htm

It all seems a little far fetched to me but then looking at the recent past ..........?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: US To Attack N Korea At The End Of October?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: US To Attack N Korea At The End Of October?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It all seems a little far fetched to me but then ...

In reply to: US To Attack N Korea At The End Of October?

... looking at the source ...

Sheesh. Yep, that War for Oil theme isn't working out for you folks so time for the next far fetched idea.

Meanwhile, so much for that criticism of Bush over bringing troops home from S.Korea. How better to flex a little muscle than to hold a military exercise off the coast and remind them there's other ways to protect against that particular threat.

Collapse -
Tactic sound familiar, Evie...

In reply to: It all seems a little far fetched to me but then ...

Evie, did that tactic sound familiar? Think back to JBJ vs. Goldwater and the "Daisy" TV commercial.

Collapse -
Thinking back to my political science days,

isn't that a standard part of diplomacy? It's like the President saying he's 'disappointed' in someone's behaviour. It's a way of sending a diplomatic message.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yes, I agree. It's the timing I guess .......

In reply to: Thinking back to my political science days,

Collapse -
Re: (NT) Yes, I agree. It's the timing I guess .......

In reply to: (NT) Yes, I agree. It's the timing I guess .......

It may be nothing more than muscle-flexing but the timing does make one wonder whether President Kerry might inherit an international crisis.

Wink

Collapse -
Link to article commented on.

Collapse -
Re: Link to article commented on.

In reply to: Link to article commented on.

"The North Koreans made it very clear, politely, that they want Mr. Kerry to win the election," said Kenneth Quinones, a former U.S. diplomat who was in Pyongyang this month for a Korean studies conference."

Wink
JR

Collapse -
That figures in that

In reply to: Re: Link to article commented on.

to quote a friend of mine:

Kerry's last two years are so filled with contradictions, IMHO, that when he decided to run for President, realized his own pacifist views but saw that most Americans favored positive actions such as the War, he had no idea how to think such things out and then make a position that he would stand behind.

What kind of leader would tell a place in turmoil like Iraq the he would pull the troops out in X number of days?? He simply doesn't have the mind that's strong enough, or nasty enough, to control tough situations. (end quote)

TONI

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yep!

In reply to: That figures in that

Collapse -
Re: That figures in that

Iraq is in control? That's news.

Dan

Collapse -
Re: That figures in that

Hi, Toni.

>>What kind of leader would tell a place in turmoil like Iraq the he would pull the troops out in X number of days?? He simply doesn't have the mind that's strong enough, or nasty enough, to control tough situations.<<

Total BS -- Kerry has done nothing to justify that question. He's said he'll stay the course, but try to get more help from (renewed!) alliances in doing so. If anything, he hasn't been forthright enough in attacking Bush for foolishly getting us in this mess in the first place.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Kerry made that statement, Dave

In reply to: Re: That figures in that

He first said he would get all of our troops out of Iraq during his first term (during the interview on CNN with Blitzer when Edwards was with him), and immediately at the next interview modified it to the first six months of his term.

He made the statement about getting other countries involved, but he referred to that as reconstruction not arms.

That was a public statement on the airwaves so he basically said it to Iraq at the same time. Very irresponsible in my opinion.

TONI

Collapse -

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) The North Koreans aren't the only ones, John. :-)

Collapse -

Hi, JR.

Of course NK wants kerry to win -- Bush hadn't been in office a week before he started putting the freeze on our relations with North Korea. North Korea is a problem only because his personal animosty for its leader and cowboy diplomacy made it one. Don't get me wrong -- I don't like the "Dear Leader" any more than you do, but the leader of a great power can't let personal feelings get in the way of diplomacy, and Bush does that at just about every turn. Just another way in which he's been a really lousy President.

Collapse -

Well Dave, when I read they would like to see Kerry win it reminded me of how much some nations.....say Iran, that liked Pres Carter and sure dreaded Pres Reagan to take office, and coughing up our embassy prisoners soon as Pres Reagan took office.

Collapse -
Re: US To Attack N Korea At The End Of October?

I don't see how turning Seoul into the world's biggest ashtray is going to persuade people to vote for bush, but I don't doubt that's what would happen.

Dan

Collapse -
actually the whole korean contenant would be but we prolly

In reply to: Re: US To Attack N Korea At The End Of October?

use the nutron bomb then relocate the palistians to that island for them selves Happy

Collapse -
Um....Mark.....

In reply to: actually the whole korean contenant would be but we prolly

1. North and South Korea are on a peninsula, not an island.

2. Why would you want to annihilate all those innocent South Koreans? Not to mention the innocent North Koreans who would love nothing more than to be out from under the thumb of that dictator? None of what N. Korea does is their fault.

Collapse -
was joke bout island

In reply to: Um....Mark.....

and i did nt dan made staement about south korea being dust. i just pointed out what would happen.
and if so palistianes whant own land thats great area near the sea

Collapse -
Re: actually the whole korean contenant would be but we prol

In reply to: actually the whole korean contenant would be but we prolly

Island? North and South Korea make up a peninsula.

Why would the Palestinians what to go there?

The ashtray would be of the North Korean's making, not ours.

Or were you kidding?

Dan

Collapse -

Never happen. I think we just want to show NK our "big stick" ... maybe intimidate them a bit and make the crazy guy mad. If you ever get a chance you might take a look at the NK paper. Theres a link from Matt Drugdes site. They are always condemning us for this or that.

Collapse -

It all seems a little far fetched to me but then looking at the recent past ..........?

Rosalie, please rest assured that this is so much paranoid fantasy. North Korea has over 1,000,000 men under arms, nuclear weapons (thanks, President Bill) and the ability to call on China for help - as long as we are the ones who start the war.

It ain't happening. As others have noted, there are few better ways for the U.S. to get the undivided attention of a potential bad actor than to park a couple carrier task forces off its shore. That's all that's going on here. Besides, we get the NK's attention every year with the annual Team Spirit exercises held in the spring, in which Army, Marine, Navy and Air Force units from the States are shipped to South Korea for war games with the South. IMO, a quick attack under the cover of that exercise would make more sense; at least we'd have additional ground and air assets available.

Finally, an attack on North Korea without an NK attack first would violate the cease-fire and all known international agreements on Korea reached since 1953. It would also doom the Bush presidency, IMO.
Collapse -
"See the whole board."

President Bartlet returns to Sam's office to resume a game of chess...

SAM: You know, sir, I looked something up while you were gone. Eisenhower, it seemed, at all costs wanted to avoid sending ships to resupply Quemoy and Matsu, 'cause they'd be less then a mile from the Chinese army. A private could--well, everybody was a private in Mao's army--but a private could fire on a ship and that'd be it. We'd be at war. We'd have to be.

BARTLET: Yeah.

SAM: Eisenhower wouldn't do it.

BARTLET: No.

SAM: Why are you?

BARTLET: Look at the whole board.

SAM: I am.

BARTLET: You're not.

SAM: I'm trying.

BARTLET: Sam...

SAM: Why were the carrier groups in the Taiwan Strait?

BARTLET: Are they in the Taiwan Strait?

SAM: They're on their way.

BARTLET: Is that the same thing?

SAM: How does this end?

Leo enters and hands the President a note.

BARTLET: Like this.

Bartlet reads the note and...

BARTLET (to Leo): Turn them around. I'll make some calls and thank people.

LEO: Yes, sir.

BARTLET: Thank you, by the way.

LEO: You, too.

Leo exits. Bartlet offers the note to Sam.

SAM: I'd like to try it without looking at the note.

BARTLET: Okay.

SAM: China agrees to stand down the war games.

BARTLET: Right.

SAM: And they agree to let Taiwan test the Patriots--one Patriot.

BARTLET: Yes.

SAM: And we--please, I want to be right about this--we agree not to sell Taiwan the Aegis Destroyers for a period of... I don?t know... five years.

BARTLET: Ten years, but you've got it.

SAM: Sir, the Aegis radar technology isn't something that... I mean, what if Taiwan did fall to China? Now they have it. Plus, these ships cost something like $800 million a piece. Buying four of them would eat up half of Taiwan's defense budget.

BARTLET: And so?

SAM: You never were going to sell them the destroyers.

BARTLET: But everybody wakes up alive in the morning and saves a little face.

==============================

The West Wing, "Hartsfield's Landing", written by Aaron Sorkin.

See the whole board - Mark

Collapse -
Re: "See the whole board."

In reply to: "See the whole board."

I wish Bartlet were on the ballot!

Dan

Collapse -
Life is not a game or a movie.

In reply to: "See the whole board."

Although Bush may try to play it like one. With other people's lives.

Collapse -
I never said it was.

In reply to: Life is not a game or a movie.

>"Although Bush may try to play it like one. With other people's lives."

So much for seeing the whole board - Mark

Collapse -
Re: US To Attack N Korea -- Even Bush not that dumb!

Hi, Rosalie.

First, it would be too obvious. Second, it would be a disaster -- too many of our troops are mired in the Iraqi quagmire, plus Seoul is in easy range of NK artillery, to say nothing of missiles. Had Bushco not miscalculated so badly about Iraq, I'd fully expect us to be invading Iran or Syria in October, but today -- no way! BTW, I fully believe that the Iraqi mess began with Rove's (sadly, successful) wag the dog strategy to win the 2002 Congressional elections by beating the war drums at Iraq, and then they couldn't figure out a good way to back down -- if they wanted to, which O'Neill's book makes unlikely in any case.

Collapse -
Re: US To Attack N Korea -- Even Bush not that dumb!

In reply to: Re: US To Attack N Korea -- Even Bush not that dumb!

BTW, I fully believe that the Iraqi mess began with Rove's (sadly, successful) wag the dog strategy to win the 2002 Congressional elections by beating the war drums at Iraq, ...

So now it's Bush and his advisors doing a "wag the dog"? I seem to remember how incensed you were at accusations that Clinton was doing that when he used missle attacks against Al Queda. And your claims he couldn't do any more to persue them because of the charges of "wag the dog" by Republicans that he generated the attacks to draw attention away from the Monica scandle.

But now I guess it's ok to make the same charge? Your side would never do it but the other would always do it, is that right? Sigh, the same charges I've read so often leveled against conservatives. Or is it just the charge (again) they used the tactic first? so now it's ok? (A justificationi used by both sides repeatedly BTW.)

Both sides have done many reprehensive tactics without a doubt throughout the history of politics. And both sides, at least some of both sides, can never see they're guilty of the same they accuse the other of doing.

Why is all this so familiar? OH yeah, from when I was a kid (and doing it myself of course). "But momma he(she) did it first!"

RogerNC

Collapse -
Don't missunderestimate bush, Dave.

In reply to: Re: US To Attack N Korea -- Even Bush not that dumb!

He may be just that dumb.

Dan

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.