Speakeasy forum

General discussion

US prestige, leadership continue to drop in Europe

Europe's view of U.S. dimming, poll shows; Their confidence in U.S. leadership, policies has fallen, especially with the war in Iraq.

>> America's prestige among its traditional European allies is in steep decline and shows no sign of rebounding, according to an annual survey conducted by the German Marshall Fund.

The number of Europeans who say they would like to see the U.S. take a strong leadership role in world affairs has fallen precipitously, to 37 percent today from 64 percent in 2002. During the same period, European unhappiness with President Bush has risen to 77 percent from 56 percent.

"Europeans have lost confidence in the leadership of the United States," said Ronald Asmus, executive director of the Transatlantic Center, a Brussels think thank sponsored by the nonpartisan German Marshall Fund. <<
(Chronicle login: semods4@yahoo.com; pw = speakeasy)

So why should we care what they think of us? First, because this loss of confidence undercuts our leadership role, and destroys our ability to achieve our goals diplomatically (just look at how little support our position vs. Iraq is getting!) Second, loss of confidence in the world-leading nation has always been followed by a shift from that nation's currency as the world's reserve currency. When the role of reserve currency shifted from the British pound to the US dollar, the pound's value against the dollar plummeted by 75%. Given that we now import the vast majority of our manufactured goods, imagine the inflation (and recession, at best) that would occur should the dollar's value fall 75% against foreign currencies!

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: US prestige, leadership continue to drop in Europe
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: US prestige, leadership continue to drop in Europe
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
dave who gives a damn

In reply to: US prestige, leadership continue to drop in Europe

when they need help who do they turn to:( and like fools we help

Collapse -
That's the spirit, Mark!

In reply to: dave who gives a damn

Tell the rest of the world to go F themselves and they'll rally to our side.

I'm just hoping that there's an anti-Bush backlash this November, and recent polls suggest that there just might be one:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/09/07/southern.women.ap/index.html

This particular quote is pretty scary, isn't it:

"There are some people, and I'm one of them, that believe George Bush was placed where he is by the Lord," Tomanio said. "I don't care how he governs, I will support him. I'm a Republican through and through."

Collapse -
Ha ha. Very pathetic...

In reply to: That's the spirit, Mark!

Scared by someone's opinion? Is it hurting you?

Why do you think it's a good idea to worry about what the USA hating Euro-poltroons think? That is what is scary.

Collapse -
Yes, I think it's scary....

In reply to: Ha ha. Very pathetic...

....when someone says she thinks Bush is doing The Lord's work and she doesn't care how well (or badly) he does his job, she's behind him anyway.

Collapse -
You guys do so LOVE to change the subject.

In reply to: Yes, I think it's scary....

Who cares that a looney doesn't have a clue about what President Bush thinks? It's the left that has created that false idea. Embrace it!

Collapse -
Well, taht's is NOT what she said...

In reply to: Yes, I think it's scary....

You've distorted it horribly. But, still, why are you threatened when someone expresses an opinion that doesn't agree with yours?

Do you think she is going to come to your house and assassinate you or something? I hear all kinds of ideas and opinions that I think are completely wrong from other people, and I am not scared by them. There is a thing called Free Speech you know..you should read up on it. Maybe learn some tolerance?

Collapse -
It's exactly what she said

In reply to: Well, taht's is NOT what she said...

Here is her original quote:

''There are some people, and I'm one of them, that believe George Bush was placed where he is by the Lord,'' Tomanio said. ''I don't care how he governs, I will support him. I'm a Republican through and through.''

And here is how I paraphrased it:

Yes I think it's scary when someone says she thinks Bush is doing The Lord's work and she doesn't care how well (or badly) he does his job, she's behind him anyway.

Looks the same to me. I never said she couldn't say it so I don't know what the ''free speech'' argument is about.

And yes, I still find it scary that people would support a President -- any President -- without any regard for how well or poorly he's doing his job because they have some wacky idea that God put him in office.

People who think they know what God wants can be the scariest of all IMO.

Collapse -
Nope. Here's your distortions...

In reply to: It's exactly what she said

She said Bush was placed where he is by the Lord, NOT that he's doing God's work. Not at all in any way did she claim that. It is very common for people to say they, or osmeone else was pur=t where he is by the Lord. This is how people tend ot talk in America.

She did NOT say she doesn't care if Bush does a poor job. She obviously thinks he's doing a good job. What she said was she doesn't care HOW he governs. That could mean any number of things, but it most decidedly doesn't mean it's okay by her if he does a poor job. That is ridiculous.

What's scarier is that you don't see the difference and think your spin is in any way credible.

Collapse -
So, freedom of thought and opinion scares you?

Chuckle. It seems that, somehow, you think that President Bush thinks what she does. At least, you want to suggest that although you have been told repeatedly that it's not true. That's pretty pathetic.

Collapse -
No. I never said anything of the kind.

In reply to: So, freedom of thought and opinion scares you?

I said that people who think they know what God wants scare me.

Collapse -
So, you are scared by people who say they know that God

In reply to: No. I never said anything of the kind.

wants justice? loves us? is righteous?

That sounds a bit paranoid.

Collapse -
Love is a general term

In reply to: So, you are scared by people who say they know that God

I think we can all agree that love is a good thing. But justice? That's a much more subjective term and it's a good example of what I mean. Bin Laden thinks 9/11 was God's justice for previous acts (supposedly) committed by us against Muslims. People have done plenty of bad things in the belief that they were handing down justice in God's name.

People who think politicians were somehow placed in power by God are zealots IMO and yes, zealots can be a scary lot.

Collapse -
So, you're opposed to justice?

In reply to: Love is a general term

That's too bad. It's a bit hard to live without a sense of justice. I think it is a very positive thing that God wants justice, and, in the end, will see that justice is satisfied. Justice is not a relative term to God. He knows exactly what it is. However, justice, when you run afoul of it, IS a very scary thing.

BTW, I didn't say ANYTHING about what people think that justice consists of, but then, I have to remember, that you may have difficulty in the comprehension area.

Collapse -
No, of course not

In reply to: So, you're opposed to justice?

My my, you're busy with the word-twisting today, aren't you! You've misquoted me in almost every post you've made to me today.

Collapse -
It is you lad who twisted this

So, you are scared by people who say they know that God wants justice.

into

Bin Laden thinks 9/11 was God's justice for previous acts (supposedly) committed by us against Muslims.

and now accuse ME of twisting words?

You've learned well from Big Bill (I did NOT have sex with THAT woman) Clinton.

Chuckle!
Collapse -
That was a direct response

I never claimed YOU said anything about bin Laden. But he does believe he's handing down God's justice.

Collapse -
What Bin Laden may, or may not, claim has zero relevance

to my posts. So, do you have a point other than that Bin Laden scares you?

Collapse -
People who think they know what God wants...

Josh, I've heard many people say that they believed that God wanted the Jews to have a homeland, and therefore Israel had a right to exist. Do you find their beliefs to be scary also?

Collapse -
Hi J

In reply to: People who think they know what God wants...

I think that statement can be backed with quotes from the Bible. And yes, statements about what God wants that I don't happen to personally agree with but which can be found in the Bible would not be zealotry IMO.

''God wants George W. Bush to be President'' and ''God wants the Yankees to win the World Series," on the other hand, are not in any version of the Bible I'm aware of and make some pretty wild presumptions about what God wants.

Collapse -
You obviously haven't read very much of the Bible Josh.

In reply to: Hi J

That's not one of your strong suites. Since George Bush is President, it is perfectly obvious that God wants George Bush to be President. Since you accept Biblical quotes;

Rom 13:1-2
Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God. NASU

Collapse -
God wants George Bush to be President

In reply to: You obviously haven't read very much of the Bible Josh.

But only for 2 terms.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) So?

In reply to: God wants George Bush to be President

Collapse -
So?

In reply to: (NT) So?

What's Gods logic in only letting him serve 2 terms?

He lets Canadian politicians serve 1,2,3,4 or 5 terms, depending on how the people vote.

I'll understand if you can't/don't answer, He probably didn't tell you.

Collapse -
When you want to know why someone does something,

In reply to: (NT) So?

it is customary to ask that person.

Collapse -
How do you iknow?

In reply to: God wants George Bush to be President

What a stupid post. No one claims that Bush wants to or should be President for more than two terms.

Collapse -
Speaking of stupid posts

In reply to: How do you iknow?

KP said ''it is perfectly obvious that God wants George Bush to be President.''

I wonder if it was obvious to the people that didn't vote for him?

Perhaps God didn't want him to win by a landslide.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yes, you made another one.

Collapse -
So

That's 2 for me, 2 for you and 3 (in this sub thread) for KP

I declare KP the winner.

Collapse -
And my post is stupid because........?

Speaking of the Canadian troll here.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ed look at the poster what is he?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.