General discussion

US HT-BD1250 wont play pc streamin video?

a little back history first. i recently built a new house, then went to best buy to get all the essentials: fridge, oven, cooktop, dishwasher, tv, and home theatre. my new fridge, tv, and home theater systems are all samsung. the tv and home theater systems offered some very cool features and i was excited to get them installed and start watching them. the TV is fantastic and the fridge is good, no complaints there. the ht-bd1250 is OK, im not overly impressed. there is no "shuffle" mode for a connected iPod, and seemingly no pc streaming for video...

So if my US bd1250 (xaa) wont play video via pc streaming, why does "video" appear in the menu? when i select video it displays "program not found" or something like that. however i do have music and picture pc streaming working perfectly.

after a bit of googling, ive run across a few posts that pc streaming for video is not available in the US. why would samsung strip the pc streaming for video out of the US product? seriously, why?

so that leads me to my next question, will someone share their canadian or uk firmware with me?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: US HT-BD1250 wont play pc streamin video?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: US HT-BD1250 wont play pc streamin video?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
US HT-BD1250 wont play pc streamin video?

iljester,

The firmware for other regions may be made available, or even downloaded from other regions. However, you don't want to do that. The UK firmware is designed for PAL systems (50Hz) and the standard in the US is NTSC (60hz). I'm being straightforward - this is a quick way to brick your system. I don't recommend updating or using firmware for a region different than the one you purchased your product for.

Videos is listed for iPod videos, as listed on page 82 of the owners manual.

--HDTech

- Collapse -

great, so the UK one wont work...

you skipped the "why would samsung strip the pc streaming for video out of the US product? seriously, why?" question. also, what about the canadian firmware?

i know your answer will be that i shouldnt do it, but it wouldnt be an issue if the US version was the same as the others. im really not seeing the benefit of stripping it out of only one model.

"Videos is listed for iPod videos, as listed on page 82 of the owners manual." ok, i can understand videos option under ipod, but why is it also under the USB and Connected PC menus as well. furthermore, wich feature do you think would be used more on an HDTV system.. iPod quality video, or HD video streamed from my pc.

im sorry, it just doesnt make sense to me, and its a cool feature that i feel cheated out of.

- Collapse -

liljester,

I referenced the manual in the U.S. (Pg. 82) - so I was actually speaking for the U.S. lineup. I looked at the manual for the UK version:

UK http://tinyurl.com/2g5pjpd
Canada http://tinyurl.com/2g6oyss

You can go to both of these links and download the manuals (which I did verify), and you'll see that they also have JPG and MP3 streaming, but no video.

It doesn't appear that the feature is stripped for U.S. models at all, but wasn't a part of the 2009 lineup last year.

I stand by the "don't install cross region firmware" statement for your benefit. It's your unit, of course, and people are free to use their best judgment, but I've posted mine. But that said, even if you did, I'm not seeing the difference you're stating where other regions have this functionality, and the U.S. models do not.

Several 2010 HT-Cxxxx models offer PC streaming. But the HT-BD1250 is a 2009 model, and doesn't have that functionality.

--HDTech

CNET Forums

Forum Info