Speakeasy forum

General discussion

US Congress and mimimum wage

by Mac McMullen / November 16, 2006 7:43 AM PST

Did you catch the "show time" episode with Hillary Clinton,
Ted Kennedy and Charles Schumer in front of a cheering
crowd and the TV cameras, espousing that Congress should
not get a pay raise until Congress raises the minimum wage ?

Why this proposal, at this late date ? Why not in previous
Congresses ? Why....a staged photo op in celebration of
the recent election.

If they are serious and succeed in "enacting" some form of
"legislation", what happens to the existing "legislation", now
on the books, that "requires" the Congress "to refuse" an
annual statutory raise, not vote to accept the raise ?

Has Hillary, Ted or Charles refused any of the raises ? How
many sitting congress members have refused raises ?

For refresher: http://usgovinfo.about.com/cs/agencies/a/raise4congress.htm
....and that was in 2004.

Why don't people, all over the country, get on the backs of
their local governments, city and state, whom they are much
closer to, and force enactment of minimum wage at that level,
rather than depend upon the federal government ?

Many States and Cities have already enacted minimum wage
laws and ordinances. Local governments know what is
reasonable and best for their areas.

Anything coming out of Wash DC is too much of a "one size fits all"
and has too many strings and red tape attached. What is
reasonable in New York City, Chicago or Los Angeles, in all
probability, is not reasonable for "Booneyville".

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: US Congress and mimimum wage
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: US Congress and mimimum wage
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Del, Some cities/states have rejected an increase
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / November 17, 2006 12:47 PM PST

largely because of the perceived loss of "competitiveness" by raising it locally. This is a major argument usually used by opponents to local increases. Raising it nationally keeps everyone on the same competitive playing field, though logically it should be higher in places with higher costs of living than those with lower. I'm not sure you could codify that, or that courts would le it stand, however.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
RE: mimimum wage
by caktus / November 17, 2006 4:38 PM PST

Heard on the Boortz show the other day that of 130 million American workers in the US about .5 million earn minimum wage.
Of 130 million I'd suspect that nearly .5 million may just not be performing above minimum standards. Even if much less than .5 million, why should 129.5 million have a chunk of their buying power snatched out from under themselves?

Especially when about a quarter of that increase will go to pay taxes of one kind and another, another and another, etc. And the rest is going to go to pay higher prices at the grocery store, the pump, etc, etc.

And then most of the other 129.5 million will just go on strike or other wise bellyache or leave their employers for a higher wage.

And on top of all this, employers end up having to match higher SS and Medicare contributions. And pay higher unemployment and Worker's comp contributions.
And lets not forget that state and federal salaries and benefits (including Congressional), entitlements, welfare, etc. too would have to be increased.
All of this to keep pace with an unnecessarily inflated economy. Not to mention some unnecessary inflation that would follow, further driving up the cost of living. Recall that spiraling-out-of-control inflation through out the 70?s? Turned out most of it was unnecessary.

Why should our economy have to contend with all these unnecessary ills? So that libs can try to convince voters that thier helping the masses. And of course brag to us about how they didn?t vote to increase their own wages.
From one end to the other it?s all a load of carp, bottom feeding or what ever you want to call it.

Collapse -
They should just make the minimum wage $100....
by C1ay / November 18, 2006 12:36 AM PST

Then maybe all of the minimum wage proponents, er idiots, would just shut up.....

Collapse -
Regretably...,.
by caktus / November 18, 2006 11:05 AM PST

I don't think even that would make much of a favorable difference, if at all.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?