Speakeasy forum

General discussion

US Army deserter surrenders

by WOODS-HICK / October 4, 2006 6:11 PM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: US Army deserter surrenders
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: US Army deserter surrenders
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A soldier of conscience? No, just a mere deserter,...
by Paul C / October 4, 2006 7:25 PM PDT

...someone who dishonored himself and the uniform he once wore.

From the piece you cited:

While in Canada, Anderson had applied for refugee status, though to qualify, Anderson would have to successfully argue that the US was persecuting him for exercising rights protected by Canada's Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Canada has to date - and to its credit - refused to accept this defense. I suspect that Mr. Anderson's decision was motivated solely by that fact. I suspect that the U.S. Army has, according to Anderson's lawyer, decided to just discharge him rather than seek the prison sentence that he so richly deserves made the decision that much easier.

Let us forget that this man both wore his country's uniform and dishonored it and himself, although I suspect that we'll hear more from him as he stands alongside Mother Sheehan and the rest of Moonbat Nation...

Collapse -
This guy has been on the news in Buffalo alot
by dirtyrich / October 4, 2006 8:38 PM PDT

as we get stories from Canada.
The only reason that he decided to come home was that he was unable to work in Canada due to his immigration status (illegal immigrant). Supposedly, he, and his Canadian wife (wow, that was fast - wonder if there was any reason for the quick marriage) have pretty much had to live on the charity of others.

Collapse -
Is he the one.....
by Angeline Booher / October 5, 2006 2:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yup
by dirtyrich / October 5, 2006 6:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Is he the one.....
Collapse -
no wd he was a deserter
by Mark5019 / October 4, 2006 10:39 PM PDT

to bad he wont be shot for it

he disgraced his uniform

Collapse -
his defense atty must be
by WOODS-HICK / October 5, 2006 2:00 AM PDT

trying to lower the charge to awol. the deal must have been worked out before his going home to 'face' justice.

he did serve honorably, he was hospitalized for his wound, his purple heart is legit. he did not desert under fire.

he should have tried harder to convince his army doctors that he was suffering from PTSD. fleeing to canada was his mistake.

'illegal war defense', they do not want to debate that in the courts.

Article 85?Desertion

Article 86?Absence without leave

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) No, just a disgrace
by Evie / October 5, 2006 2:03 AM PDT
Collapse -
Not surprising.
by Angeline Booher / October 5, 2006 2:21 AM PDT

He is entitled to the best defense.

However, just as you knew when you enlisted in the Army, a soldier does not pick and choose what he/she considers to be "legal".

There is no evidence I have seen that he tried to convince some of his peers to join him. So, he deserted them and fled on his own without a thougt or care that they remained in harm's way, and the void left by his desertion had to be filled by another soldier.

Just my 2 cents.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
definitely disgraced
by WOODS-HICK / October 5, 2006 2:45 AM PDT

my understanding was he was stateside when he deserted after learning of his unit going back.

since the principal job description of a soldier is fighting, I do not sympathize with one who volunteers and wonders why they are in a war. guard and reservists included. firemen wondering why they have to go into burning buildings are a comparable example. it is easier for them to quit.

he might have caused more harm if he went with his unit considering his mental state. even if he was just afraid.

his sentence should be strong enough to discourage others to follow his actions.

Collapse -
If that's how you feel ...
by Evie / October 5, 2006 2:54 AM PDT
In reply to: definitely disgraced

... why did you initially describe him as a soldier of conscience?

Doesn't square.

Collapse -
note: ?
by WOODS-HICK / October 5, 2006 3:01 AM PDT

that was a question, not a description, to prompt a discussion.

if he had gone back and survived he might have become a local hero, he was awarded the purple heart. guess he wasn't planning on running for president in 30yrs.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Maybe next time you should add your answer then.
by Evie / October 5, 2006 3:05 AM PDT
In reply to: note: ?
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) nah, too easy to win the discussion
by WOODS-HICK / October 5, 2006 12:02 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) but were the self inflicted wounds?
by Mark5019 / October 5, 2006 3:27 AM PDT
In reply to: note: ?
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) no reports of that so far
by WOODS-HICK / October 5, 2006 12:03 PM PDT
Collapse -
wd since its an all volunteer
by Mark5019 / October 5, 2006 3:26 AM PDT
In reply to: definitely disgraced

service he new as others new you "cant" pick where you serve evan though some stayed home with mothers
he ran hes scum end of discusion

Collapse -
just find a tree and hang him
by Mark5019 / October 5, 2006 3:25 AM PDT

he deserted and ran like the draft dodgers with yellow streaks down there back

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) do you have a purple heart award?
by WOODS-HICK / October 5, 2006 3:36 AM PDT
Collapse -
yes
by Mark5019 / October 5, 2006 3:50 AM PDT

but never accepted it its on records

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) it was your decision, no questions here
by WOODS-HICK / October 5, 2006 12:04 PM PDT
In reply to: yes
Collapse -
excactly my decision
by Mark5019 / October 5, 2006 1:06 PM PDT

but that dosnt make this coward a non deserter.

i got my award because of a scratch i dont think it was a reason to get a medal

not unlike some presidential candidate did

Collapse -
need to start some time
by Mark5019 / October 5, 2006 1:32 PM PDT

why not use this coward as an exsample

Collapse -
so shoot them after conviction
by Mark5019 / October 5, 2006 11:22 PM PDT

or send them in shackles to war zone to remove mines:)

Collapse -
Mark had posted about this a couple weeks ago
by MarciaB / October 5, 2006 10:10 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) and my views about these cowards remain
by Mark5019 / October 5, 2006 11:24 PM PDT
Collapse -
''we mustn?t lend ourselves to the same evil
by WOODS-HICK / October 8, 2006 5:59 PM PDT

which we condemn.''...henry david thoreau.

The abuse of power in Iraq is not isolated or spontaneous but rather part of a larger pattern of abuse that senior military officials are condoning rather than condemning. Whenever abuses of power by the military in Iraq surface the military has done its best to paint the soldiers as a few bad apples. In fact, the soldiers are victims themselves of poor policies and leadership that guarantees these sorts of things will happen.

''On August 31st, Sgt. Clousing was charged with violating Article 85 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice (desertion). If found guilty, he could face a maximum of two years in confinement.''

US soldier disputing legality of Iraq war facing court-martial for desertion

and another surrenders but not to the enemy

Collapse -
because he is the enemy
by Mark5019 / October 8, 2006 11:15 PM PDT

hard to surrender to yourself

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?