HP forum

Question

Urgent request- need advice on HP Probook 6460b vs other sug

I need a laptop for travel and as a second computer to get away from the office desktop.
I need a fast computer (boots up fast), matte screen,(probably 14" is the best compromise) good memory, good video, comfy keyboard and durability for travel. Also good battery ( 4-5 hrs) and one that does NOT heat up too much.

I'm looking at the HP Probook 6460b - 14" screen ($814 sale) which is touted as a durable entry commercial HP laptop.

I am frustrated that I can barely find more than 3 or 4 customer reviews on this laptop model despite being out for 3 months??? Is this normal?

I've read about the fan not shutting off - is this a dealbreaker?

Anyone...Can you please give me any insight on the following 2 points?
1) Is this laptop worthy?
2) If NO, then what business laptop would be good ( in the $700- $850 is range) would be a good alternative. Lenova thinkpad? Dell latitude? Others?

It's down to the wire - I'd really appreciate any responses asap.

Thanks!
T

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Urgent request- need advice on HP Probook 6460b vs other sug
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Urgent request- need advice on HP Probook 6460b vs other sug
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
No answer possible.

In reply to: Urgent request- need advice on HP Probook 6460b vs other sug

I looked at this model's specs and find it has options:
Intel

Collapse -
Laptop not an Ipad

In reply to: No answer possible.

Bob - thanks for your response.

The HP Probook 6460b specs are Intel Core i5-2410M (2.30 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache) model.

I need a laptop to work on and I am not interested in an iPad. I understand that there are variances in battery time/heat etc. I am looking for feedback on the HP Probook 6460b from someone who has used them - OR - a positive recommendation for a similar business use laptop given my buying criteria.

I would appreciate any comments specific to this HP model OR other suggestions. Again I find it very odd that I can't find reviews for this. Is no/extremely few reviews a bad sign?

Thanks,
Tom

Collapse -
That model has a low population.

In reply to: Laptop not an Ipad

And good choice on the i5. The HP Probook 6460b specs range greatly and is not limited to the i5 as we read:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/321957-321957-64295-3929941-3955552-5045594.html

My problem with HP is their service. While I had a simple hp g62 it was the first unit from them with an issue. They failed spectacularly by making the laptop unusable and then walking out on the warranty. After 6 months I began to share the story here and have been contacted by a HP online ambassador with offers to fix it again. I fear for this brand as who could live with such a disaster today.

We can only hope their service has improved.
Bob

Collapse -
I can give some advice

In reply to: Laptop not an Ipad

While I do not have that model, I can speak of one aspect of HP laptop. The one I have, has a new touch pad, the synaptic click pad. You can read about it at the link below. The laptop does not have true left, right mouse click buttons. There is a bubble contact switch in the touch pad, and depending where you finger is at the time you depress it, will determine if your doing a right or left mouse click.

http://www.synaptics.com/solutions/products/clickpad

You basically have to relearn how to use the pad. Hp has solved most of the problems that it had when the laptop shipped. If you do buy one and it has the click pad the first thing you should do is get the latest BIOS update and touch pad drivers. If you ever have a desire to use any Linux version your going to have problems. I have yet to try a Linux distro that works well with it. It became so irritating that I went out and bought a wireless mouse to use with my laptop. While mine is not a business laptop I am satisfied with it, but HP Tech support has disappointed me on many occasion. I hope this might help you some in looking at the Hp.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.