Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

URGENT Help needed with PNP on com port

by jivan13 / September 17, 2005 4:58 PM PDT

I have a PABX system that runs on the serial port - com port (Win XP) which when plugged in is detected by PNP as a microsoft serial mouse. When detected it sends the mouse pointer crazy and I can't use the computer nor the pabx. It shows in the device manager as the microsoft serial mouse. I can unplug the pabx but it disappears from the device list so I can't disable it (even if that is the correct solution) as a mouse and when it's replugged in the pointer is too uncontrolable click on the device. If I start the computer then plug in the pabx on the com port it works fine but when rebooted with PABX plugged in the pointer goes crazy again. In this part of South Africa the electricity goes off sometimes for so long that the UPS dies. I despirately need a solution that is better than teach the operator to only plug the pabx in when the computer has booted.

Does anyone have a solution. Thanks, Jivan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: URGENT Help needed with PNP on com port
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: URGENT Help needed with PNP on com port
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In your boot.ini file...
by Edward ODaniel / September 18, 2005 6:46 AM PDT

do you have the /FASTDETECT switch present?

It should be but some remove it. It is there because it replaces the Windows NT 4 switch /NOSERIALMICE. The switch exists so NTDETECT can support booting Windows NT 4 in a dual boot configuration. Windows Plug and Play device drivers perform detection of parallel and serial devices, but Windows NT 4 expects NTDETECT to perform the detection. Specifying the /FASTDETECT switch causes NTDETECT to skip parallel and serial device enumeration while omitting the switch causes NTDETECT to perform this enumeration (which is required for booting Windows NT 4).

Here is a list of the boot.ini switches with explanations.
http://www.sysinternals.com/Information/bootini.html

Collapse -
Also
by Themisive / September 22, 2005 7:50 AM PDT

try updating your mouse driver - I had this problem once, and as soon as I updated the driver, it went away. Now I ALWAYS have a list of drivers to keep updated, believe me it quite a lot.

If your mobo uses a VIA chipset (see the manual) get the VIA 4 in 1 driver.
Onboard sound card.
Onboard graphics card.
PCI Sound Card.
AGP/PCI Grphics Card.
Keyboard.
Mouse.
Modem.
Webcam.
Scanner.
Printer.

For all of the above, get up-dated drivers from the manufactuers - ESPECIALLY if the original equipment was for an earlier version of Windows.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!