Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

urgent

The problem all comes down to the computer continuously restarting... forget the rest I was just reitering on how the problem started... what it all comes down to is the computer continuously restarts and I have done the appropriate actions as per described by several tech sites on renaming the kernel32.dll file via through xp pro cd and expanding the one on the cd onto the comp.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: urgent
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: urgent
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re Urgent

In reply to: urgent

Collapse -
Re: Urgent 2

[Window]>>>>[Break] What this meant was Right-click on the computer icon and click on properties to enter system
properties or you can press the start button on your keyboard and press pause break together

Collapse -
please reread my 1st original post

In reply to: Re: Urgent 2

I think i've said it clearly in my first post but n e way again... my problem is I cannot log into windows at all or even reach the windows xp log on screen. The computer just continuously restarts over and over again. I need help for that.

Collapse -
disregard

In reply to: please reread my 1st original post

disregard previous post.. i didnt see ur first post... sorry!

Collapse -
Restart over nd ovr again....

In reply to: please reread my 1st original post

Are you able to start in Safe Mode - or the computer restarts before you are able to do so ?

Collapse -
Two suggestions

First -- Stick to one thread for one problem. If you do start a new thread and refer back to the first, please provide a link. It is a pain to search for the oiginal, and many will not bother.

Second -- As your problem seems to be related to some system file, but not necessarily the one mentioned in the error message, try running SFC (system file checker). It may find the problem and restore the proper file.

Frank

Collapse -
Please describe the symptoms exactly

When does it restart? Do you get to any sort of boot screen? How far into the boot does it go before restarting? When did this behavior begin?

Recently I had a similar problem on one of my systems. It would start into the boot sequence with the little blue bar floating back and forth, then the screen would go black like it was ready to put up the desktop graphic, and then it would beep and go back to the power-up BIOS screen and start the boot cycle again. Nothing helped, not safe mode, logging revealed nothing useful, it always restarted itself just as it reached the end of the boot sequence.

The problem was a faulty Windows update patch. Microsoft tech. agreed that particular one was problematic on some machines. In the end, I used the XP installation CD to do a repair reinstallation of the operating system (all programs and data were retained) and then when I downloaded the update patches again, I skipped that one. If this describes your situation, I'll look up the exact number of the bad patch when I get home tonight.

dw

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.