Hi Jeff,

I'm sorry that you've been caught in the middle of this. Let me explain in some detail what's going on here:

When you have a universal remote, it has stored on its board a selection of different infrared (IR) impulses. When you enter a code onto the remote to make it work with a device, the code access the stored information on the remote board and binds that information to whichever device key its been mapped to.

Additionally, the remote codes are not standardized because they are unique to each remote brand or sometimes even remote model. Thus, the numbered code you enter into a remote from a Samsung universal remote and some other brand to access your Time Warner set top box (that I assume you have) are very likely not the same code at all. What is the same is the IR signal sent from the remote.

There are a couple non-obvious consequences of these two facts:

1) Remote codes are not universal: you can enter the same code in another remote and either have no result or an entire different set of commands accessed.
2) Remote codes are not known by other manufacturers: each manufacturer tends to be fairly consistent about the codes it provides to its own remotes, but it generally doesn't known the codes from other manufacturers.

This is why any from Samsung will have no idea what the remote codes are on a non-Samsung remote for any given device, including Samsung devices.

I hope you'll find this helpful and informatative!

HD Tech