Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Upside-down tomatoes... I kid you not!

by Angeline Booher / April 21, 2004 1:21 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upside-down tomatoes... I kid you not!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upside-down tomatoes... I kid you not!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Hi Ange, I'm going to try these tomatoes...nt
by Mary Kay / April 21, 2004 3:36 AM PDT

Collapse -
Hi, MK! I'd like the shovel.
by Angeline Booher / April 21, 2004 3:59 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re:Hi, MK! I'd like the shovel.
by Mary Kay / April 21, 2004 4:31 AM PDT

Actually I don't shovel anymore. I grow my tomatoes and peppers in pots on the patio so these will work out great.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Hi, Mary Kay. I don't grow tomatoes anymore.
by Rolway / April 21, 2004 5:57 AM PDT

Years ago I planted a bunch of Big Boy Tomatoes along the outer part of my deck. They grew & grew till finally I had to add extentions to the deck. About 12ft high. The tomatoes were as big as grapefruits. My neighbor asked me what the heck those were. Tomatoes I said. He looked and said: Who they for, the Jolly Green Giant? After pulling all plants out come fall, I Found out my Septic tank, which was near by was seeping underground near the deck. Damn expensive tomatoes that year. Its true too. I have the bills for the septic system to prove it.

George

Collapse -
NT - OK George - TMI
by Pat S / April 21, 2004 6:32 AM PDT
Happy
Collapse -
One year I planted 6 of those...
by James Denison / April 21, 2004 7:05 PM PDT

...around the base of a dying tree and used it to stake them up. Unfortunately I soon had to use a ladder to get them higher. I was even wrapping them around the tree as they went up for added support. After my 16' ladder wouldn't reach I borrowed my neighbor's 30' ladder at times to keep them going up higher. I didn't even have tomatoes yet since I kept pruning the blooms off, looking instead for a large late harvest. Anyway, after they got over 40' up the tree I no longer had to stake them,the stalks had become so thick. I quit pruning the blooms and waited to see how many I could harvest all at once to make canning easier. Before long those stalks were covered with blooms, then small green tomatoes, finally some red ones that kept growing to about the size you described. The morning I was going to harvest them I walked out that morning, got my neighbor's ladder, walked around back, only to discover to my horror they were all gone. There was a note tacked to the tree beside this huge footprint and when I opened it, I read, "Thanks for the tomatoes, we were getting tired of just beans." signed "Jack".

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?