HolidayBuyer's Guide

The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Upscaling DVD Player

by tahertss / February 20, 2008 1:10 AM PST

Wanted to buy a new dvd player and was wondering if I should wait for a price drop in the Blu Ray player, or buy an Upscaling DVD Player for now and then buy a Blu Ray player after a year or so. Any thoughts appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upscaling DVD Player
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upscaling DVD Player
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
upscaling is cost effective; buy both and return one...
by shawnlin / February 20, 2008 3:28 AM PST
In reply to: Upscaling DVD Player

I like my Oppo upscaling unit for my 37" LCD. For sizes less than ~45", I don't think you need more than 720p/1080i.

The only way to really tell is to buy both, try them out, and return one.

I'm not sure if this is true, but I think the Blu-Ray players don't play regular DVDs...do they? That's something I'm disappointed in.

Best,
Shalin

Collapse -
Yes they all play regular DVD's. They upscale them as well.
by minimalist / February 20, 2008 3:45 AM PST

And they generally do a better job of upscaling than cheap upscaling DVD players in my experience(probably not the Oppos which are supposedly top notch machines). You really notice it in smooth detailed objects (like the rolling credits at the beginning of Star Wars for example). It might be because the upscaling on a Blu0-ray player is going to be 1080p whereas many cheap upscaling players are 1080i.

Collapse -
Blue Ray, DVD
by Renegade Knight / February 20, 2008 3:47 AM PST

My DVD player quit, I replaced it with a PS3. It plays DVD's just fine.

Collapse -
HD DVD as an upscalling player
by tahertss / February 21, 2008 12:19 AM PST

Now since HD DVD is available for $99 (Circuit City), it would probably me the best upscalling DVD player for the price.

Collapse -
It really depends on your TV
by minimalist / February 20, 2008 3:39 AM PST

And whether its 720p or 1080p. In my experience anything smaller that 40-42" is not really going to benifit a whole lot from the 1080p resolution of blu-ray. Unless you sit right up next to the screen.

If you had a 46" or larger 1080p screen I would definitely go the blu-ray player as it upconverts DVD's as well and you can rent or buy blu-ray discs too.

Collapse -
depends on your TV...
by thriftyT / February 20, 2008 3:40 AM PST
Collapse -
Hooked
by PressAnyKey / February 20, 2008 3:57 AM PST
In reply to: depends on your TV...

After viewing HD movies, even on a 32 inch television I would say save your pennies and buy a Blu Ray player rather than an upscaling DVD player.

I bought one of those $90 HD DVD players back in December and have been renting HD movies from Netflix for the last two months. I just can't go back. While the palyer upscales nicely and regular DVD's look good, HD beats it hands down...

Word of warning. When you do buy a Blu Ray player make sure it plays all revisions of the format. I'm not very clear on this issue but I've hear the spec has only recently been finalized...

Collapse -
Upscalling vs a Blu Ray
by tahertss / February 20, 2008 4:08 AM PST
In reply to: Hooked

I have a 42 inch 720p tv.

I was looking to buy the pioneer dv 400 K upscaling player ($80)

Compared to say a PS3 ($300). I dont play games at all so that wont make to much sense.

Collapse -
I'm perfectly happy...
by paintguru / February 20, 2008 8:16 AM PST

...with my upscaling DVD player. I will keep it until it dies and then IF Blu-ray is around $100, I will pick one up (unless I decide I want a PS3).

Collapse -
no noticeable difference
by FredAgain / February 21, 2008 8:56 AM PST
In reply to: I'm perfectly happy...

I was watching a Firefly episode on my Oppo upscaling DVD player on my 42" 720p/1080i plasma. When I was finished I noticed that the exact same episode was on HD-NET. A great opportunity for a side-by-side comparison on the same TV. I could see no noticeable difference.

Collapse -
Upscalling is the best thing for now.
by sbo246 / February 22, 2008 1:21 PM PST

If you have a lot of DVD's in your collection and a screen size of 42" inch or less (720/1080) I would really recommend buying an upscaling DVD player.

The one that I have is a Phillips with the USB input and upscaling feature, one HDMI output and the advantage of playing avi or dvx files by means of a DVD/CD/USB flash drive. Will not work with an external USB hard drive but it will work great with a 1GB,2GB or 4GB flash drive. They had these at best buy for about 50 dlls last week, check it out.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.