TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Upscaling DVD needed or not?

I just got a fine Samsung HL-S6187W set and want to know if there is any improvement in picture quality from DVDs to be had by using an "up-converting" DVD player with it. I have my old SD (480p) player and I would gladly buy an up-converting one if it would improve the image of standard DVDs. I have been told by some that this TV is very capable of up-converting the imput without the need of an up-converting player. But others have said that althought the TV does convert the incoming source signal, it can not display it as well as it could if it were coming from an already converted (1080i) source. Who is correct in this? Is it worth getting an up-converting player or is there NO difference in the end display quality? Also my currnet player does NOT have HDMI conection capability and that may be a big factor as well(?).! (I am aware that even if there is an improved image to be had by using the "up-converting" player that it will still not be nearly as good as a true HD source like Blue Ray or HD-DVD). Just want some fair degree of improvement without spending a lot for the true HD players.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upscaling DVD needed or not?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upscaling DVD needed or not?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My 2-cents

In reply to: Upscaling DVD needed or not?

I have an upconverting DVD player and I have a tough time seeing any discernable difference. At least it's not a "night and day" difference. But, this could just be my own poor eyesight. I'm waiting to buy a new HD-type DVD player to get the real benefit of a new TV. Why not just enjoy your 480p picture connected via component until you get a true HD DVD player? A new HD DVD player should be backward compatible and it should upconvert your old DVDs.

Collapse -
Yes

& you don't need to spend lots. My little sony up-scales to 1080i got it for $160 it sells now for $90 or less new. New dvds' like the Sopranos, Lost & Deadwood look very sharp, I see the small pits on there faces, dust in the air, hair stubs ect.
& yes for hdmi, you got 2 of them, so use them.

Collapse -
Yes.

There are some fantastic upconverting DVD players out there, and they are very affordable. One example is Oppo's DV-970, It has gotten rave reviews and is only $150. I bought the 981 and am vrey pleased with it.

If you read the news on CES, LG now has a BluRay/HD DVD player. Yup.... plays both formats. I plan on moving the 981 to the bedroom and picking up the new LG as soon as it's avail... (Feb or March)

Collapse -
forgot link

In reply to: Yes.

forgot to post a link for ya.... www.oppodigital.com

Collapse -
ABSOLUTELY "UPSCALE" DVD player for the Samsung 6187

I also have the Samsung HL=S6187W DLP and having a good upconverting player really makes a BIG difference! For only about $169 (I paid $150), the Denon DVD1730 upscales to 1080i and, hooked up directly thru the HDMI ( a MUST), the Samsung's internal processor "De-interlaces" from 1080i to 1080p to give you the absolute smoothest and HD-like picture.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.