Peripherals forum

General discussion

UPS - Is It Really Needed ?

by Surut / October 9, 2005 12:03 PM PDT

Hello everyone,
I have been using my P4 - 2.4 GHz, 512MB Ram, and 80GB Hard Disk and a 24!Bit Sound Balaster with 5.1 Speaker Computer for quite 2 years from now. I have also recently added a wireless Router to My Existing Broadband Connection. Some times in my house all the Electrical Applicances ( except the Normal Lighting ) fuse off... do u think i should be investing on a UPS power Supply....Will it help make my computer's life longer than normal

Thanks in Advance ...

Surut

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: UPS - Is It Really Needed ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: UPS - Is It Really Needed ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A surge protector is fine...
by John.Wilkinson / October 9, 2005 2:21 PM PDT

I use a backup UPS so that I can finish what I'm working on (mine lasts for about 45 minutes), save my data, and shut down normally. However, I don't think it has much impact on the overall life of my computer. While a 'normal' shutdown is best, any damage that may occur from an instantaneous loss of power would be so slight I doubt it would cause any noticable damage down the road. (Provided such isn't a common occurrance where you live.)

Now, a surge protector capable of handling your PC's load is very important, as the ~$50 product will sacrafice itself to save your $500+ computer. That translates to a very good investment. Just make sure that the one you get has ethernet and/or coaxal protection, as a power surge isn't limited to power cords. Also, make sure that everything connected to your computer physically is also protected by the surge protector, as once again, electricity isn't picky about how it fries your computer as long as it gets the job done. Wink

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Insurance given...
by Willy / October 11, 2005 9:34 AM PDT

The whole purpose of a UPS is to give you time or "auto mode" shutdown in an orderly fashion. In the process saves your work and maybe some grieve. Besides a decent UPS, look also into surge protectors as well, even cheap single AC types do better than nothing, besides a strip protector. Since, you already know you've some electrical problems, it good insurance. Spend whatever you can afford, but you afford to lose data and/or rebuild data, etc. back to a point you were? Answer that, gives you some practical guidelines.

good luck -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
If you buy a UPS buy a good one
by krazyken44 / October 16, 2005 1:56 AM PDT

I'm having problems with UPS maker and the lifetime insurance they offer. I have a somewhat fried computer from a blackout. I can tell you a $100-150 one will not work as a $40-50 surge protecter. I won't but a cheap UPS again it's a waste of money.
The reason why is the cheaper UPS/battery backups do not protect from sine wave problems, although rare these can & usually occur with a blackout, brownout, or spike. These can kill a computer chips quick. Also cheaper UPS is not good for brownout or spikes, so if you buy a cheaper UPS you are buy a false sense of security and a fight should you get zapped.
Oh, watch the wireless in a thunderstorm lightning can get you if are close enough to a strike.
I got zapped, so good luck Sad

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!