PC Hardware forum

General discussion

UPS Battery Replacement

by jgw0 / January 10, 2007 5:46 AM PST

I have an tripplite omnismart 1400 (5 batteries, 6v 12ah). I am trying to replace the batteries. I neglected writing down how they were installed prior to removal (BIG mistake!). Now I am trying to re-install them but it does not look right. It currently look like:
Black - to ups electronics
red - red
black - black
red - black
red - black
red - to ups electronics.

I do not think this is correct even though the wires all fit.

Any help would really be appreciated - thanks..............

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: UPS Battery Replacement
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: UPS Battery Replacement
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Maybe you see their site or call them?
by acoxon1274 / January 10, 2007 9:30 AM PST

1111 W. 35th Street Chicago, IL 60609 USA
Customer Support: (773) 869-1234 ? www.tripplite.com

I had one of their UPS and when it came time to replace the batteries I found it cheaper to buy a new UPS because of the cost of batteries and S&H fees.

Collapse -
tripplite battery replacement
by jgw0 / January 10, 2007 10:08 AM PST

I emailed tripplite and explained the problem. They emailed me back and told me that I would need to hire a journeyman electrician (really!). I have the new batteries (cost 48.00 - the 1400 is worth 350.00).

All I can say that I would not recommend ANYBODY buy a tripplite UPS as their technical isn't just bad, not even a joke - its non-existant! It would have been incredibly easy for them to simply supply the wiring diagram for daisy chaining the batteries - instead they want me to hire an electrician!

The rules for this are pretty simple, actually. To bump the voltage I should go + to + and - to -. To bump the amps I should got + to -, etc. My problem is that I ended up with mixed wires and I do not think that can be right, even though everything fits - hence my query. My concern is that if I do it wrong I will destroy the ups.

Thanks for the reply............

Collapse -
Not sure what to say.
by acoxon1274 / January 11, 2007 12:01 PM PST

Given the reply you got from their tech support I agree with you.

See site ? http://www.zbattery.com/seriesparallel.html ? for info on hooking batteries in series and parallel, I think you may have it backwards.

Triplite site says that your model uses ? http://www.tripplite.com/products/product.cfm?productID=2544" UPS Replacement Battery Cartridge, Model #: RBC53. This cartridge contains three 12V batteries. You said you have five 6V batteries. Which of these are the right batteries? I'm not sure what to say. Is your model older and nolonger listed?

Well as I said in the subject I'm not sure what to say. How about good luck. Maybe you can find someone with the same model and open it up and draw a diagram of how to wire in your batteries.

Collapse -
tripplite battery replacement
by jgw0 / January 12, 2007 3:27 AM PST
In reply to: Not sure what to say.

Thanks for the reply.

I know about the specs for the unit. I did an internet search and found that the number of betteries, etc. is a moving target (even on the tripplite site). I bought this unit from Tripplite so I have to believe they sent it out right. An interesting thing is that there is room for 6 batteries but they only put 5 in and the space, for the 6th, is taken up with a piece of foam. The more I think about all the problems I am having, the lack of real response from tripplite and the fact that this unit seems to have any number of battery configurations simply reinforces my believe that this is just not a company a person wants to do business with. The unit, incidentally, has worked well for well over a year but given the current problems I would never do it again.

Collapse -
parellel/series
by jgw0 / January 12, 2007 3:56 AM PST

You were right. I had it exactly wrong. I decided to go guts and hook everything in series. Nothing smoked, the voltages were correct (120v) and I will borrow an amp probe to make sure of the amps although without a load I am not sure it would be accurate (its been a while since I did electrical stuff (different from building computers)).

Again - thanks for the reply. If this is wrong I will post that later.

Collapse -
The missing piece of the puzzle
by rss219 / June 10, 2013 2:30 AM PDT
In reply to: parellel/series

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!