Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Uprading to internet explorer 7 bad experience

by tx1epcs / January 10, 2007 7:17 AM PST

Hello, I tried installing ie 7 but it was taking over an hour, so I restarted my computer. A friend advised me to intall it all over again, and this time I just left it downloading overnight. This morning however, when I access the internet, I still see the old version and now my system takes forever to access any site. I have high speed connection. Could you help me to at least get my system the way it was before?
Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Uprading to internet explorer 7 bad experience
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Uprading to internet explorer 7 bad experience
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
God Bless Microsoft
by Bladactania / January 11, 2007 10:54 PM PST

Probably what happened is since you were half way through the installation, the computer thinks it's already installed IE7. First thing I suggest is you download IE7 and choose the "download now and install later" option. This way you can install it 100 times if you need to without having to download it over and over. And burn the .exe to a CD if you can so you have it permanently. Anyway, if you can, I would use the system restore to revert your system back to the point before you started the initial installation (please remember to back up any data that may have changed since the attempted installation. This will clear any partial install of IE7. After you've reverted, download the IE7 installation exe and burn it if you can then try to install again. Hopefully this time it will go through smoothly.

If you cannot revert your system, then you may have more trouble. download the IE7 exe and run it as normal one more time. If this doesn't work, use the Add/remove windows components and see if it lists IE6 or IE7. Try uninstalling/reinstalling from there.

If none of this hels any, then it's out of my realm I'm afraid. I've had a couple issues with partial installations of other programs, but with Microsofts damned IE/Windows integration, it's very hard to deal with problems that are relatively simple with other programs.

One thing though, IE7 is good I think. I still use Firefox of course, but it looks like Microsoft is catching up.

Collapse -
RE: Bad experience installing ie7
by tx1epcs / January 12, 2007 2:05 AM PST
In reply to: God Bless Microsoft

Thanks for the tip. I did not think of that, and I am sure that would have worked. However, I was in a hurry to have my system working and I purchased a registry clean up software. This did take of the problem. Unfortunately I could have bought a pair of shoes with the $30 I spend :)... Thanks again.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!