Windows Vista forum

General discussion

UPnP Confusion

by StargateFan / September 20, 2008 2:05 AM PDT

Everyone is familiar with the usual Windows sound effect for mounting an UPnP device, right? What is strange about my machine is that it plays this sound at what seems like random. Whether I'm using the machine or not it will just suddenly play the sound effect of an umounting (like if I pulled an USB flash drive out of the USB) and immediately after playing this sound, it will play the mounting sound effect (as if someone plugged a flash drive in).

I have never heard of this sound effect being played for anything except the UPnP sub-system, and yet there is nothing being added or removed hardware wise from the machine. When checking the Event Viewer logs there is nothing being recorded in the hardware logs. However in the System logs there are events that occur at the exact time the UPnP sound initiates.

Unfortunately the event is different, meaning it's not the same thing every time, which means I can not pinpoint the exact problem from these logs. The most recent event which caused the unmounting sound was:

(DCOM started the service upnphost with arguments "" in order to run the server:)

The event which caused the mounting effect was:

(The UPnP Device Host service entered the running state)

As a post script if I am playing a video game on the machine and this occurs I do loose control of the game and the game itself goes into a non-declared error. I have control of the game and it's menu control system but the character display control is gone. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: UPnP Confusion
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: UPnP Confusion
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just ran into this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 20, 2008 4:01 AM PDT
In reply to: UPnP Confusion

Sorry I don't have a cure but figured out that it was the neighbors unsecured wifi router. For now I just ignore this one.

Collapse -
Network Security Is Not an Issue in this Case
by StargateFan / September 20, 2008 2:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Just ran into this.

I am confident that the security of my network is not factor in this problem Bob. I can guarantee this fact with this particular machine because the problem occurs with all network connections disabled, and powered off.

Collapse -
In my case, no issue of security.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 20, 2008 10:26 PM PDT

It was simply the other router was not secure and UPNP found it and told me about the UPNP device showing up. It was an annoyance but nothing more. You can disable UPNP in vista as you did in XP.

"can guarantee this fact with this particular machine because the problem occurs with all network connections disabled, and powered off."

Then it's either another network such as wifi (turn off too) or it's not UPNP but some other event. I'm sharing a recent discovery but maybe it does not apply. Remember that FIREWIRE is on the networking devices list so be sure to disable that too.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!