PC Hardware forum

Question

Upgrading XPS 420 CPU

Intel 2 Quad CPU Q6600 2.40GHz
Nvidia GTX 545
4GB ram

I am having some CPU bottle necking while playing games I think, and I'm not sure what I can safely upgrade too.

Would appreciate some recommendations. Thanks!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading XPS 420 CPU
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading XPS 420 CPU
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Dell XPS 420

In reply to: Upgrading XPS 420 CPU

I see that this model is some 10 years old. Forget about upgrading the CPU, or anything, although - if you really are attached to this machine and it runs Windows 7 or higher - you can consider to add an SSD for a faster boot (don't do it if you still use the Windows Vista it came with).

Buying another PC is the only feasible option.

Collapse -
Answer
Upgrade

Assuming the OS is 64 bit.

Assuming the ram is a 4GB stick.

Remove the ram stick and read the label on it.

Now go shopping for an exact match.

Put the new stick in the proper slot for dual channel.

Do some testing to verify windows sees all the ram and dual channel is enabled.

Are you sure that gpu is a gtx 545?

Collapse -
thanks for all the help.

In reply to: Upgrade

Yes it is GTX 545. I put it in.

What would upgrading my ram do? Will it improve fps in games?

I am running windows 7 64bit

There is 4 ram sicks 1GB each, I have 2 4GB sticks but they are they don't fit.

Im considering getting a different motherboard.

Collapse -
Ram

In reply to: thanks for all the help.

Here's the ram you want.
http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/xps-420/CT1167039
You want 2 of those kits.

Yes it will increase fps.

If you replace the mobo you will need to buy another OS.

That gpu seems to be an unique thing....can you post a link?

Where did w7 come from it's not a supported OS from Dell.

If it's something you installed where did you get the drivers to support that mobo?

Msft support for w7 ends in about 18 months so think about that before sinking bucks into that machine.

Collapse -
idk

In reply to: Ram

I took the GPU out of my Alienware x51.

The harddrive died and I had this computer so I threw in the GPU and upgraded to w7 with usb.

I tried putting the harddrive from my XPS420 after upgrading it to windows 7 on the XPS420 with usb. The x51 just beeped on boot, so i put the gpu back in the XPS420 and have been using this since. I'm not sure if the motherboard is bad but ideally i would like to move my x51 motherboard into my xps420 since I already have better ram and cpu in it if that is even possible.

Collapse -
Mobo

In reply to: idk

Will the x51 mobo fit in the xps 420?

Does the x51 mobo use proprietary connectors?

If it will fit in the case and you can use your xps 420 psu then I suspect you will need the factory restore media to load the OS on your hdd.

Then it's off to dell to get the driver updates for the mobo.

Collapse -
beep

In reply to: Mobo

So was it just beeping at me b/c it did not have the mobo drivers? Meaning i need to fresh install windows through that mobo onto the hdd.

Collapse -
Beep

In reply to: beep

What does the manual say about the beep code.

You can't take an OS from one machine and boot it on a different machine.

That rarely works.

Collapse -
Answer
Beeping on power up.

Is not a driver or OS issue. I'm off to the Dell Docs on this model to see what the beeps or rear LEDs tell me but go back to what worked then change ONE PART AT A TIME. Do everything and you can't tell what it was.

Collapse -
beep

In reply to: Beeping on power up.

Originally my computer(x51) froze up an upon restart the HDD would not be detected, thinking the HDD died I then moved my gpu to the XPS420 and upgraded the OS it had to w7 on its HDD. Then I moved the HDD to my x51 and this is when the beeping happen. Just some clarification. I will do some testing later but it is quite a hassle to put the x51 back together. Could trying to boot the HDD from a different computer cause the beeping and no display output? I would think it would at least show setup bios.

Collapse -
The beeps

Have nothing to do with the disk.... it is a failure during POST.

You don't need a disk or disc connected it should still pass POST and give a bios screen.

So your back to the manual to see what it says about the beep code.

Collapse -
Moving an OS HDD?

That fails over and over. I'm not sure if you know about the problems and how far off the support map you are on that.

You don't need the HDD yet. You should go back to what worked. Then try moving forward.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.