Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Upgrading Windows 98 to Second Edition

by davedude / April 9, 2005 9:21 AM PDT

Hey guys,
I still have a laptop running Windows 98 first edition and it is plagued with all sorts of freezing and bluescreens because my newer software doesn't like it. I recently obtained Windows 98 Second Edition (Full Install). However, as I have found out, the Windows 98 Second Edition (Full Install) Setup Program will only upgrade a computer running Windows 3.1 or Windows 95. When I said I wanted to upgrade my Windows 98 first edition to Windows 98 Second Edition, it said "Use Windows 98 Second Edition (Upgrade)"

I know the proper way to do it would be to reformat my hard drive and perform a clean install of Windows 98 Second Edition, but I recently reformatted and I am in no hurry to go through the whole ordeal again!

Does anybody know how I can install Windows 98 Second Edition (Full Install) on a system running Windows 98 first edition, without erasing my whole hard drive?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading Windows 98 to Second Edition
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading Windows 98 to Second Edition
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Read...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2005 10:21 AM PDT
Collapse -
What about booting from the Win98 SE CD?
by davedude / April 10, 2005 11:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Your answer is in

Hey, thanks for the link. Renaming the "win.com" file sounds like good idea to get Win98 first edition to upgrade to Second Edition. Do you think it would work if I booted from the Win98 SE CD and told it to install from the "Setup Utility"? I tried it and it said that there was already an operating system installed and that it highly recommended using the upgrade tool in Windows. But, that's a catch 22, of course.

If I ignored the warning and told the "Setup Utility" that boots on the Windows 98 SE CD to install anyway, would that have the same effect as renaming the "win.com" file and upgrading with Windows running?

Collapse -
My way.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2005 12:43 PM PDT

I copy the Win98 directory from the CD to same name directory on the hard disk. I boot to dos, rename the file and then run the setup from C:\Win98

Sorry, but that's my way and I'm not changing.

Bob

Collapse -
No,
by ramusson / April 10, 2005 6:14 PM PDT

'cause if you renamed win.com, windows would'nt run in the first place!

If you ignored the warning and asked Setup to continue, in all probablity, it will go back to square one and ask you to use an upgrade disk. Don't know, I've never tried this.

I go by the Rename technique.

It'll be interesting to know the result of the "ignore warning" method, another bit of knowledge.

Collapse -
Follow-up - It Doesn't Work
by davedude / May 13, 2005 8:26 AM PDT

Just to let anybody following this thread know the result, I tried booting from the Win98 SE CD, running Setup, and ignoring the warning. Unfortunately, Setup doesn't like to be ignored and flat-out refused when I said to Continue Anyway. I ended up just doing another complete reformat and getting it over with!

Collapse -
Upgrade won't fix things
by boughto / May 12, 2005 3:04 AM PDT

By upgrading, you will carry over a lot of crap from the previous install. I've only done a test 98 to XP upgrade, but I belive you would still need to reinstall all your programs again anyway - they won't be in the registry.

Why not do a backup (great opportunity to test your backup method before a disaster happens!) and start afresh? Trust me, you'll never look back - with a clean install, windows will boot in a flash and no errors etc.

Remember to back up all your data files and email, and also grab installs you need. Do a belarc.com and print it out for a list of everything on your system.

Worst case scenario by renaming windows boot files etc is that your PC won't even boot. Better to do a backup anyway before you start!

Cheers,
Mark http://www.aussiepcfix.com

Collapse -
Just FYI...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 12, 2005 5:29 AM PDT

That site you tagged didn't show up in Mozilla.

Why?

Collapse -
Installing Win98 SE over Win98 FE or Win95
by Gatta / May 14, 2005 1:01 PM PDT

I have done it, but don't have the work-sheet now.
If I can remember it correctly, the procedure was:

1 Boot from a Floppy Disk, which can activate your
CD ROM drive

2 At C:\Windows, rename

WinVer.Exe to WinVer.98

Win.Com to: Win.98

3 At C:\, make a temporary folder: Win98SE

4 At CD-ROM's drive prompt, type

Setup /nx /is /im /ie /T:C:\Win98SE

Switches are:

/nx Keep old registery (that is all your installed
softwares, will remain as they were (except
IE and Windows Media players, which will
be down-graded, in case you had up-graded
them

/is ignore Scan disk

/im ignore memory chec

/ie ignore making Emergency Disk

/T: Temporary Installation folder

Whether or not the installation is successful, this
directory will be deleted, after set-up's first
leg of operation.

You must select installation folder: Windows

Frankie

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!