General discussion

Upgrading video card for my HP Pavilion?

I recently purchased a new computer from a big box store. I am fairly good with computers and when I decided I would like to upgrade the graphics from the Radeon HD 4350 it came with to something much more powerful I did some research. I have since upgraded the power supply to a 550 watt, and the ram from 4 to 8 gigs. I am wondering if the motherboard will allow for a top of the line graphics card. Something like a radeon 6550 or along those lines. I contacted HP but they provided no assistance. The computer model is a p6342f Pavilion. The ram and power supply have been updated. Can anyone help me with what my options for best graphics card I can fit in the system are?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Upgrading video card for my HP Pavilion?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Upgrading video card for my HP Pavilion?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Just a thought
- Collapse -
Upgrading video card for my HP Pavilion?

The issue regarding the actual tower I'm running is that the 16x slot is located directly below all of the ram slots leaving minimal room above it to fit anything, and I've noticed the new cards are extremely thick in comparison to the card it came with.

- Collapse -
Sorry.

But your post didn't write they don't fit. Thick or thin, it's just a mechanical job and then we check if our PC has the power supply to supply that new card.
Bob

- Collapse -
Bottleneck?

I'm curious as to what you mean by bottleneck. I'm assuming it means in order to run a top of the line video card I'll need a faster processor?

- Collapse -
Short answer....yes

I'm just guessing your thinking about gaming.

The I3 series might be a little short on horse-power to feed a high end vid card.

It's not that it won't work.....it's just there might not be much bang-for-the-buck with coupling a 400 buck vid card to an I3.

Use the list from the link I gave.....research the cards....let your wallet be your guide.

Yes....some of the cards are big.....only you can tell what can be fitted to the mobo.

CNET Forums

Forum Info