Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

"Upgrading" to XP from Vista.

by Chimlim / February 9, 2012 6:00 AM PST

I have a spare laptop that has Windows Vista, it's a pain and really slow. I want to wipe it clean and install Windows XP from scratch.
Since it's a laptop, will Windows XP automatically recognize the drivers for it? Or will I need to download all drivers from the website? It's a Toshiba laptop
I am planning on using this laptop stricly as a means to backup data. I want to plug an external hard drive to it, share it on my network, and use that as a means of backing up and saving important files. This laptop will not be used for any other purpose, but will always be on.
Thanks for any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Upgrading" to XP from Vista.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Upgrading" to XP from Vista.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
will Windows XP automatically recognize the drivers for it?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2012 6:04 AM PST
No. Never has worked very well. I've seen XP "run" but many don't consider that a valid install.

So while the OS was up and running is it OK for the video to be 800x600 16 color, no sound and no USB ports working?

The OS did install, it does "work".
Bob
Collapse -
Answer
Could be difficult
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 9, 2012 6:10 AM PST

XP to Vista is not an upgrade, and it is not really a downgrade either if this laptop never had XP on it anyway. It will be a 'wipe the disk clean then fresh install of XP' grade.

Wiping the hard disk is relatively easy using a utility called DBAN. But the rest could be very difficult.

In answer to your question, does the XP CD have all the drivers? The answer is no. Your best bet is to go to the Toshiba web site and see if there is any guidance for installing XP onto this model machine. They may have the drivers ready for download. If they say that this laptop is not compatible with XP then that makes your task even more of a problem.

Since this is going to be a storage medium anyway, why not stick with Vista, pare it down to the bare minimum, resolve any issues it has, and use that?

Mark

Collapse -
I was hoping XP would be faster with network access
by Chimlim / February 9, 2012 6:30 AM PST
In reply to: Could be difficult

I was hoping with Windows XP it would have quicker network access from my other machines.
It doesn't sound like I can just install XP from scratch and overwrite Vista with ease, I'm not very experienced with laptops, I might just keep Vista on this machine.
Thanks

Collapse -
Just a tip. Always supply make and model.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2012 6:33 AM PST

Sometimes we know the install procedure. Most of the time we don't. Here's an example of installing XP onto a laptop.

-> http://forums.cnet.com/7726-7587_102-2699006.html

Notice that there are no less than 10 drivers to fetch, install and some are not on any web page?
Bob

Collapse -
Well,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 9, 2012 7:45 PM PST

Vista is fine. I had it for 2 years and the OS itself was not a problem. It connected to my home network without difficulty, (apart from the normal mayhem and confusion when setting up home networks in Windows), both wired and wirelessly.

What I am not so sure about is your need to connected an external drive to this laptop so that it is available through the network for another computer. At the moment I have 2 desktops, Win 7 and XP and a Win 7 laptop all on a home network and the Win 7 desktop has a USB external drive connected to it. I'm just checking to see if any of the other systems can see that drive and access it.

Blimey that works! Happy

I'm slightly surprised. I shared an external USB drive connected to my Win 7 desktop with my XP desktop. The Win 7 is hard wired to the router and the XP is wirelessly connected. I had to set up File Sharing on the external. I watched a family video from the external on the XP system, then I copied a video from XP directly to the external.

So what you want to do is possible and all you need do now is sort out Vista's slow performance. May be we can help with that.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?