Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Upgrading to Windows XP

by pilot_norman / October 22, 2003 8:08 PM PDT

Hello Everyone!

Here's my problem. I have a 20GB hard drive with business programs that cannot be replaced (Mainly life insurance programs and CD's were damaged). I wanted to format the hard drive (so much junk on it but because of the programs, I can't. I am planning on purchasing a new hard drive, installing Microsoft Windows XP (currently running ME) and setting the new hard drive as the primary one and my current as the slave. I am then going to install all my programs that I still have the CD's for back onto the new hard drive.

My question is will the programs I have on the old hard drive affect the ones on the new hard drive. Basically, my current hard drive is slow (5400rpm) and so crowded with junk that I want to start with a clean slate so I plan on still running the business programs from that hard drive but running the operating system from the new one.

I tried to make it as clear as possible (I may have failed lol) but if anyone can give me any info if there will be a conflict with the programs, please let me know!

Thanks,
Josh

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading to Windows XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading to Windows XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Moving Programs
by wwittmeyer / October 28, 2006 2:27 AM PDT

It's very likely that you won't be able to ''copy'' the old programs to another harddrive, especially with a different Operating System. Usually when a program is installed, it ''registers'' with the O.S. registry.

There's a possible ''work around''. It might require a second ''new'' harddrive (possibly an external hd) unless you want to burn a lot of CD's.

Norton Ghost will ''image'' your 20 gig drive as a recoverable source on another drive. You would have to first image the 20 gig to a second drive (not your ''newer, bigger'' one), and then, swap the new drive for the ''old'' 20 gig. Then, restore the image to the new drive. You will then have the old stuff, programs and O.S. on the new drive. (You could install the O.S. first, on the 20 gig, and then transfer the image, but you wouldn't have the back up the first option provides.)

Then, upgrade to the new O.S. (You might consider Windows 2000 vs. XP. It may be friendlier to your old programs in the course of the upgrade.)

Check-out Norton Ghost specs to be sure you can get a version that'll work with ME.

Collapse -
Cloning your 20 gig
by Merl Priester / October 28, 2006 11:06 AM PDT

You can install the new harddrive and clone the Windows ME install using tools provided by hte maker of the harddrive. However you said that ME is not 100% so upgrading that OS is not a good idea.

Programs that are on the old drive will not affect the new one if you connect the old drive as a slave after installing XP on the new one. DO NOT leave the old drive connected while installing a new OS.

The upgrade disk will work for new install if you have a Previous Windows disk to "show " it when asked. If doing a clean install, an OEM CD is easier and cheaper than the upgrade disk.

As far as you old programs, some may work without installing but they are few and far between.

All you can do is try. If you do get this to work, I would recommend you take the old drive out after doing the change and store it in case of a drive failure and you need to recover those programs again. You should always backup data and in this case those programs is need be.

Backup to multiple devices, HD, DVD, CD whatever you can, one type of backup without others is not alwasys a good idea, as it may not work when you need it.

Collapse -
Damaged program CDs.
by Papa Echo / October 28, 2006 1:59 PM PDT

You won't be able to run the business programs from a "slave" and under a different OS. Cloning won't do since the problems will be cloned as well. So, what happened to the program CDs ? How damaged are they ?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

CNET ON CARS

Want to see the future of car technology?

Brian Cooley found it for you at CES 2017 in Las Vegas and the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.