Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Upgrading to windows 7 (help)

by shualam / January 17, 2010 4:51 AM PST

Hi,

If I upgrade my Windows Vista Home Premium to windows 7 Home premium and something goes wrong during the installation, what do i do? Can i cancel it and have my vista back?

I have very little knowledge of installing OS.

I brought the student discount version of windows 7 from Microsoft.
I'm just scared because I never install any Operating System before and I don't have the money to afford another computer.

I called HP customer service for the same reason and they told me to get someone with more knowledge and...I don't want because they will just call me stupid and scaredy cat.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading to windows 7 (help)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading to windows 7 (help)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Forgot to add specs
by shualam / January 17, 2010 4:56 AM PST

sorry i forgot to add my PC specs.

I have HP slimline s3720f
Pentium Dual Core
4GB of RAM
Vista Premium (64bit)

What else do i need?

Collapse -
Let me share.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2010 8:01 AM PST
In reply to: Forgot to add specs

I took a laptop with Vista 64 up to 7 Home Premium 64 (that family pack deal.)

Prep work:
1. Save an image of the entire system to the USB HARD DRIVE using CLONEZILLA.

My apologies here. This is not an offer to write a tutorial. You get to research words you never heard of on google or such.

2. Uninstall antivirus, firewall, all protection software!
I hope you can see why.
3. Uninstall some biometric logon software. It's non-standard and I bet could throw a monkey wrench into the works.
4. Uninstalled a few softwares I would never use again.

Done. Slip the 64 bit 7 upgrade DVD and answer a few question and 4 hours later it's running 7. I had 2 drivers MSFT didn't find so I hunted those down and I'm done.

Figure 6 hours from start to finish.
Bob

Collapse -
Maybe...
by John.Wilkinson / January 21, 2010 5:02 AM PST

Early in the process, it may let you simply revert back to Vista with no harm done. Nearer completion, if something goes wrong, you may have an unbootable computer. Uncommon, but possible.

Best advice:
1.) Backup anything you cannot afford to lose.

2.) Have your HP recovery system (Vista DVDs) at hand.

3.) As Bob suggested, clone your hard drive to another hard drive, set of DVDs, etc. Your choice of cloning software here. If anything goes wrong you just restore the clone as if nothing ever happened.

4.) After a successful upgrade, create a new clone for future use. Keep updating it as necessary to mitigate the fallout should something happen.

Good luck.
John

P.S. Don't feel intimidated or afraid to ask for help; everyone starts somewhere, and no one wants to end up in a bad situation.

Collapse -
installation
by jeff_windows_team / January 21, 2010 7:06 AM PST
Collapse -
Windows 7
by RON HOW / January 24, 2010 12:32 AM PST

Be carefull I tried to load my laptop only to find it would not accept it. On checking Laptop makers web, I found out it was not possible to load a L10 with windows 7. I do not know if other older machines have the same problem! Some printers drivers need updating also.

Best wishes Ron

Collapse -
windows 7
by jeff_windows_team / January 25, 2010 4:20 AM PST
In reply to: Windows 7
Collapse -
Success
by shualam / January 27, 2010 3:44 AM PST
In reply to: windows 7

Thanks guys! I followed the on screen instruction and i also use the Microsoft link and windows 7 came to life. No problem whatsoever...except few HP programs didn't came along.

I used the windows 7 adviser and found out that those programs are not yet compatible.

anyway i'm happy no problem...muhahahaa Happy

Collapse -
win 7
by lizardo_manson / January 29, 2010 11:23 AM PST
In reply to: Success

wrong, XP still on sale, not on store but online specially ebay (original software).

Shaulam, did you tried using "Program Compatibility" that comes with Windows 7?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?