Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Upgrading to Windows 2000

by wokauvin / November 22, 2005 8:22 PM PST

Mesh PC, circa 4 years old, currently running Windows ME. 1.2gb AMD Athlon Processor, 40gb hard drive. Has ACPI BIOS installed.

I want to install Windows 2000 on my machine ? is it best to format the hard drive and then to do a clean install from there?

If so, are there any potential issues I should be aware of prior to doing this? Does the hard drive need to be set up differently?

Thanks for any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading to Windows 2000
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading to Windows 2000
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Your choice here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2005 9:06 PM PST

While a clean install has benefits, I need to cover a few points.

1. Windows ME does not qualify for the Windows 2000 Upgrade package.
2. Windows ME might 'upgrade' if you boot and install the Full version of Windows 2000. In fact this is my preferred route since it saves me from restoring from backup and getting all the settings right again.
3. Windows 2000 drivers may or may not work. Microsoft does not fetch drivers for us. We do that.

4. You do NOT format the drive for NT/2000/XP/2003 installs. The installer has tools to wipe the drive and prepare it. Too many trip up the install by formatting prior to install.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Why Windows 2000?
by Earth911 / November 25, 2005 4:09 PM PST

I would get XP Pro or XP but,why Windows 2000?

Collapse -
I have a few reasons.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2005 9:40 PM PST
In reply to: Why Windows 2000?

1. I have a few items that work in 2000, not XP.
2. It does run as good as XP but in 256MB RAM.

The list continues such as the office has paid for many 2000 licenses, the OS works so we use them. We're cheap.

Collapse -
One further query
by wokauvin / November 26, 2005 1:19 AM PST
In reply to: I have a few reasons.

Bob is right, I am cheap! Also have a lot of games and other items which are not XP compatible.

Just have one further query re: installing.

Do I have to uninstall/remove ME from my system before installing 2000 or will it do this for me when preparing the drive for install?

Collapse -
Your choice here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2005 1:55 AM PST
In reply to: One further query

While some push for the clean install, I find all I need to do is collect the newer 2000/XP drivers ahead of time and using my Full Retail Windows 2000 CD, let it upgrade the OS. After that I can install new drivers.

For me a time saver.

Collapse -
Windows Me to Windows 2000 Upgrade Is Not Supported...
by John.Wilkinson / November 26, 2005 9:49 AM PST
In reply to: One further query

According to this Microsoft Knowledge Base article, "A supported upgrade path from Windows Me to Windows 2000 is not available because Windows 2000 was released before Windows Me, and upgrade capabilities were not included. With many core changes such as the registry split, the removal of real-mode support, and new features such as Microsoft Windows Movie Maker and System Restore, Windows Me is not a candidate for upgrading to Windows 2000." Thus, starting fresh with a clean installation of Windows 2000 is your method of travel.

Hope this helps,

Collapse -
Having done dozens over the years and not one failure.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2005 10:02 AM PST

I can agree that Microsoft has a choice here, but why work so hard when the track record shows that of the close to hundred times I've done this, it works?

It is true that the Upgrade version of 2000 will not upgrade Windows ME, but the full version does so and nicely too.

Collapse -
by wokauvin / November 28, 2005 5:49 AM PST

Many thanks Bob.

I should have mentioned I have a copy of the full retail version of 2000 Professional so will give the upgrading route a go.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?