Windows 7 forum

Alert

Upgrading to Win 7 from XP

by mrrko1 / June 7, 2014 12:23 PM PDT

I purchased Win 7 professional OEM and Office 2010 full version retail.

I am currently running Win XP pro SP3 and MS OFFICE Pro 2000. My machine runs pretty good but I want to upgrade the system down the road.

I assume that my system will run the same by installing Win 7 and Office 2010, perhaps better. Can I replace the motherboard and processor etc down the road without activation or licensing issues?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrading to Win 7 from XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrading to Win 7 from XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not if you install the OEM version on
by orlbuckeye / June 8, 2014 12:36 AM PDT

the old motherboard. You would have to call Microsoft and convince them.

Collapse -
Which won't happen
by Jimmy Greystone / June 8, 2014 1:26 AM PDT

Which won't happen because the OEM license changed a year or so back to prohibit buying OEM versions for use on a computer you plan to use personally. So assuming the OP goes ahead and uses it, Microsoft will consider it pirated even though the OP paid for it and has a valid license key. The terms of the EULA are breached, thus Microsoft considers it pirated.

Collapse -
The OEM issue is not new.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 8, 2014 12:57 AM PDT

Plenty on the web but so far Microsoft does issue a new key or allow movement when the main board dies. Again, this area is so well done it's ash and folk may be upset by the short answers.

The one thing that chafes folk is calling it in. Some lose weeks looking on the web to avoid the call.
Bob

Collapse -
See JG's reply.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 8, 2014 1:30 AM PDT

The OEM license issue is so well done. There is OEM and then there is OEM. The OEM license you get with your Dell/HP/other is one thing and no one I know has convinced Microsoft to issue a new key for use when the board changes. But the OEM you buy standalone from the usual channels is another story.

This is why folk don't like the OEM version at times. Great price but later the pain.

Windows 8 isn't all that bad once you add Classic Shell and there is no OEM version you can buy. And it's price seems to be on par with Windows 7 OEM packages here.
Bob

Collapse -
If you ask me
by Jimmy Greystone / June 8, 2014 2:47 AM PDT
In reply to: See JG's reply.

If you ask me, even without classic shell 8.1 isn't all that bad. Takes some minor retraining, but in return you get a number of nice under the hood improvements and even a few visible ones that a lot of people have probably thought more than once, "I would be nice if I could..." Still can't get my head around why people get so bent out of shape about the start screen when you rarely have to interact with it unless you want to. Guess some people aren't happy unless they have something to complain about.

Collapse -
Upgrading to Win 7 from XP
by TEQGlobal / June 24, 2014 10:24 PM PDT

Licensing issues won't happen if you upgrade any hardware component of your computer except motherboard. However, if the motherboard gets defected then you can upgrade that as well without getting into any type of . On the other hand, Microsoft treats motherboard upgrade for reasons other than defect as if someone has purchased a new computer. So in such a scenario, new license needs to be acquired. I hope it answers your question.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?